Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2010 Ford Raptor - Help highly appreciated !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2010 Ford Raptor - Help highly appreciated !!!

Hi guys,

I need your help!!!

I´m from Germany and I´m driving one of the first stage 2010 Raptors (5.4L).
First of all the Truck is badass awesome - but you all know!!!

The Truck is with me now since 2012 and has 52.000miles.

So the Raptor has this mysterios problem:

When it gets colder outside in fall & winter and the truck sits overnight I can´t bring him to life in the morning. Means I turn the key - the truck cranks - but is not firing up. The exhaust brings some smoke out and it smells badly like fuel.
I have to try this procedure several times and with luck he fires up after 4-more times cranking.

When its warm overnight then everything runs quite normal in the morning - one time cranking - firing up - idle near 1000rpm and coming down soon to normal.
BUT - it always smells like fuel badly when he fires up.

So, we could say now "go to the ford dealer" - problem: as soon as I´m entering the dealer - any dealer - they look like idiots from somewhere else "sorry we can´t help you, we only deal with european cars"

I have a real good mechanic but he´s already frustrated. We don´t know what else to do. The truck is as he came - all stock (except the exhaust)

We checked everything. No failure codes readable, nothing.
We changed already the canister purch valve (both, front and back).
We changed sparks and checked wiring. We checked all sensor data - nothing unusual.

The next thing that my mechanic wants to try is to change the CHT sensor.
My question is now, what are the symptoms of a failure of this sensor?
Can this may cause the trouble? And where is it exactly located (drawing or picture)

Summary:

- hard starting issues when sits overnight only when it gets colder at night (below 32F)
- over 32F (summer & spring) he runs ok and fires up normally but in my feeling he needs to much fuel (I´m aware of that this is a badass big truck and he needs a lot of fuel :-D but you can follow with a smooth way of driving that he needs to much fuel)
- The problem is there weather I use 95 octane, 100 octane or E85 fuel
- never used anything else than 5W20 synthetic oil (as mentioned in all papers)
- no failure codes at all
- we changed already the canister purch valve and all the rest of the system
- we checked the air intake system - all seams fine
- new air filter
- new high performance sparks
- I got a software update earlier this year (was ok afterwords but came back to the status after 2-3 full fuel tanks)
- the truck is all stock - excepting a performance exhaust cut out before the rear tire
- when I bought the truck everything was fine for the first 5000miles and till winter came

So I´m not a mechanic - but it feels as the truck is drowning in the morning. Means as soon as I turn the key too much fuel is flooding the cylinders and he´s drowning and can´t fire up. The question is now if fuel is getting somehow overnight already in the cylinders or somewhere else or if too much fuel only gets in the engine right when turning the key. And it seams to be a temperature problem - because it only happens when cold outside.

As soon as the engine is warm I can place him somewhere, leave him sitting, engine gets cold again - turn the key - all good. It just happens when he sits overnight.

Your help is highly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot.

Cheers from Germany

Daniel

Quick Reply: 2010 Ford Raptor - Help highly appreciated !!!