Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2006 F 150 5.4 Triton motor, Fuel Injector problems & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 F 150 5.4 Triton motor, Fuel Injector problems & More

Last week my F150 started to experience some issues. Started missing & check engine light came on. I got it to a shop ASAP. The mechanic said #7 & #8 were missing badly. He suggested replacing All the Plugs and boots & checks the coils, 7 & 8 plug was fouled. The mechanic said he suspected that a Fuel Injector issue was starting to develop. He suggested that I run some cleaner, I did that. The fuel injector did go bad and by the time I got back to the dealer, I am told that #7 cylinder was vapor locked with a bent rod! Now I am told that they must replace the motor at a cost of $8K!

fficeffice" /><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Service Rep says he has had NO LUCK rebuilding the 5.4 Triton after a Fuel Injector problem and Vapor lock!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default One Man's Opinion:

Get a second opinion. I can think of no sequence of events where a leaky injector would cause "hydo-lock" of a piston. ~60+cc of gasoline would have to flood a combustion chamber in a very short period of time in order to get a liquid slug sufficient to stop the piston and bend a con rod.....except: Key on, but no start command; fuel pump is on; injector is wide open and leaking for a minute or so, long enough to pump 60+cc of fuel into the offending cylinder; then a start command; up goes the piston and slams against the fuel slug that stops engine rotation making a helluva lot of scary noise in the process. (Never, in my 50+ years of experience with automotive engines, have I ever experienced a "hydro-lock" condition in an engine.)

The forgoing scenario may not be entirely accurate, however. Somewhere I remember, within the technical explanation of the operation of the fuel injection system, that the fuel pump will shut off if a start command is not issued within a certain period of time.

FWIW: I use injector cleaner regularly in the fuel as a preventative to what has possibly happened in your case. Occasionally I add 4oz of Marvel Mystery oil to a tank full of gas to help lube the fuel pump and keep the system clean.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 07-15-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Kat... THANKS,
Do you know anything about a FSA Ford issues about the fuel injectors sticking open. Another post from late 08 mentioned it but gave no ref to any FSA #.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford #07M08 is the owner notification for fuel injector issues/recall
Old 07-28-2009, 06:28 PM

Default 2006 5.4 Triton Motor

07M08 is for 2005 models only. NOTHING issued for 2006 +.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. I have an 05 5.4 in an Expedition and last week had a loss of power, driveability issues, really rough idle and check engine light came on. Dealer said number 2 injector failed closed, replaced it but still had same driveabilty issue. Dealer now says no compression in #2, with damage to head and cam because rocker arm fell off along with valve spring then the piston hit the valve. Ford is saying the injector failure didn't cause engine damage and I need to foot the bill for an engine replacement. Difficult to believe that a perfectly fine running engine destroys it's valve train and piston at the exact moment the injector fails in the same cylinder and they are not related? Injector didn't show any impact damage from the valve train. Hope it works out for you.
Ron

Quick Reply: 2006 F 150 5.4 Triton motor, Fuel Injector problems & More