Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2004 5.4l..help with engine problem

Old 05-30-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.4l..help with engine problem

125k miles. Ill describe the problem best i can as few of words i can.

ok, so the problem is with the motor. At idle it has a real bad tick ( at some points it sounds like a "diesel" as some people describe). and it has no power when you go wot, it just falls on it's face.

-after the truck warms up (5 or so miles) the truck will buck or hesitate at lower rpms when you give it a little gas to speed up, when the motor is under load ( mainly when in OD). smooths back out when you downshift and raise the rpms

after this problem ^^ occurs, a little while longer the truck will completely bog down in any gear, at any speed or any rpms when you give the truck even a little throttle.

now when this problem ^^ happens, at idle the truck will sound tremendously worse then just ticking. it sounds like the light ticking 100 times faster and louder. Turn the truck off and start it again, it goes away and sounds like it did in the beginning of this thread.

I got a code for bank two overly advanced timing. Replaced the vct solenoid and both cam sensors. was able to drive the truck a lot longer before the bad ticking noise started...although i did use it to pull my brother out of the ditch and as soon as i pulled him out the engine started making the real bad knocking noise.

oil changed and used motorcraft filter. Also, the guy i bought it from said the dealer replaced the timing chain and tensioners up front and im assuming the guides as well
Any ideas here at all? anything at this point would be helpful lol

Last edited by blackgt97; 05-30-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys over on my welding forum...a forum for welding...helped out a ton on my issues with my f150...a truck....which is weird bc this forums says f150 forum. hmm
Old 06-13-2015, 01:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since the solenoids, nor the tensioners helped out. Your problem will most likely be with plugged oil passages or maybe scored cam journal caps bleeding off too much oil pressure. Something is preventing the oil flow to the VCT and is causing timing issues, which is why it made that knocking sound.

Last edited by 07F150Lariat5.4; 06-13-2015 at 01:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 5.4l..help with engine problem