Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2003 F150 Supercrew 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 F150 Supercrew 4.6

Just had the head gaskets replaced and the heads surfaced.
That was no problem ($1800). The problem started about 2 weeks after we got it back, around 500 miles later. There is this light rattling sound at the front left side of the engine (passenger side). I took it back to the mechanic. After looking at it he said that it was the timing chain. It was stretched. It did not make this noise before and he put new tensioners on it while he did the heads. I thought this was odd. Timming chains stretching in less than 500 miles of driving? Ok, he said that he could put a chain on it, fine I told him to do it. He called back and said that he needs to put both on. Whatever just do it. Its all together and it still makes the same noise! He thought the chain was hitting the inside of the cover
Now some questions:

1) Can the timming chains stretch with only about 120k miles on it? This truck is not a work truck. My wife drives it around hauling kids and ball equipment. Comments?

2) Is it necessary to put all new sprokets on with the new timming chain?

3)Is it possible to put on the wrong tensioners?

Please comment on these questions and add anything to help me figure out what the heck this guy might be doing wrong.

Great forumn!
Thanks guys!

Last edited by maurice; 03-05-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Not knowing what kind of parts he used that could be a problem - quality.
The other thing to me is "heads surfaced", how much was removed? If I did the job I would use the thickest safest gasket available and at 120k I would replace all gears, guides, chains, and tensioners.
These motors require a lot of experience to dig into and knowing what parts work and what parts changed from year to year is very hard to keep up with.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM

The mechanic has done this before.
He gave me the name of the parts and said that they are the same as Ford uses. I double checked and he was correct.

Chains, tensioners, guides were replaced but not the gears.

All was well until this weekend when the engine started knocking or pinging upon acceleration and then the "service engine soon light" came on. I checked the codes and they were p0171 and p0175.

Looked them up and they are oxygen sensors of some type. There were numerous reasons for this. One that caught my eye was cam timming.
Could the engine be out of time and then the result is the engine codes comming up? After the new chains and tensrs. were installed it was timmed and everything was running fine when it left the shop.

Stummped!

Ideas?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Problem solved.
I guess the problem was that the mechanic is going through a divorce and wasnt paying attention to his work.
He put the gears on wrong and it wouldnt time correctly.
The truck was in the shop three times.
He got fired.
The owner put it back together correctly and now is working fine.
Thanks for your input.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Default timing problems

Well its back in the shop.
The engine wont stay in time.
Check engine lite comes on after about 50-100 miles then starts running rough.
No power and lots of knocking or pinging.
The only part of the timing parts that havent been replace is the sprockets. He said they dont look worn.
It has new chains, tensioners, guides.
What the heck is going on?

Quick Reply: 2003 F150 Supercrew 4.6