Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2002 F150 2WD 4.6 with weird transmission symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 F150 2WD 4.6 with weird transmission symptoms

I need help and advice

What I'm trying to explain happened in the dead of winter last year and now his happened again today

Truck starts idling high. When you start going forward it seems like the transmission will not go out of first gear. If I get to 30 miles an hour, all of a sudden the RPMs rev up like the transmission is either slipping or actually in a neutral position..... Go below 30 miles an hour, and the transmission seems to go back into first gear

When it happened in the winter, since I didn't know what else to do I unhooked the battery for about 30 minutes. Strangely enough, that fix the problem and I have driven many many miles since then

Today it seems like it's doing the exact same thing, except now I have no reverse! Someone told me to clean the idle air control valve on the throttle body which I did, but it didn't seem to help. When I am test driving it, everything runs smooth and there is absolutely no bad noise coming from the transmission..... Which makes me really think it's an electrical problem not an internal transmission problem..... But the lack of reverse on this latest episode really scares me

I have 214,000 miles on this truck and have had very very few problems

I would appreciate anybody's advice and help in order to get my truck running again

Thanks to everyone on the form

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 2WD 4.6 with weird transmission symptoms