Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2002 4.6 F-150 Romeo Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 4.6 F-150 Romeo Engine

Ok. I really feel like an idiot right now. About 2 months ago my truck wouldn't idle. After about 2 days it finally gave me a code. IAC code. So I replaced the IAC and it was fine for another 3 days. It started misfiring under acceleration. I figured the COP was bad. I waited for an engine light, but it never happened. I had this problem a couple years back, but I replaced the #5 COP and everything was fine. I waited for a week and never got a light or a code. I have a scanner and checked it anyway 4-5 different times and never got anything. So, I took it out ran it got it to misfire. I came back and figured I do a plug check. I was using a magnet parts tub. I started on the right bank pulling the plugs one at a time.

I put the plug and COP together as a unit on the bench, so i could compare the differences. Well, there was a difference. As i started putting the plugs and COP's back in the 7mm socket i was using came off the extention and fell in the #2 cylinder (yeah, throught the spark plug hole, and on top of the piston) I went throught the roof. Well, I calmed down and at this time I didn't know which cylinder it was in but i knew it was on the right bank. So, I used a ratchet and socket and barred the engine so I could get the cylinder down all the way. The piston was in it's up stroke. I didn't put much force on at this time. I didn't hear any noises either. So, I changed direction and got the cylinder at BDC. I used a magnet and after about 2 hours got the socket out. I was feeling good now.

Now i put everything back together. Immediately the engine started ticking. I used a screwdriver to my ear and narrowed it down to the #2 cylinder (obviously). But, this is where I'm lost. You can hear the knock through the exhaust. I have dual exhaust. I pulled the valve cover off and I don't see any obvious valve springs, or valve broken. I'm not driving the truck now. I'm just asking for some game plans. Money is tight as with it is with everyone. If anybody could give me some pointers or ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good job on the fishing trip. Is that the same cylinder as the noise is? Perhaps the magnet shook some carbon loose and is causing interference. Have heard these engines are zero clearance between piston and cylinder head. Need input from others on that issue.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bill. Yeah this engine has no clearance. I spoke to a couple people that know these engines and they've told me work than likely I've bent a valve. In this case I hope so. I haven't been driving it so, I'll put new valves in and go.

Quick Reply: 2002 4.6 F-150 Romeo Engine