Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2001 ford f150 4.6L knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ford f150 4.6L knocking noise

Im a newbie here, and i just want some insight. Today my truck started to make a knocking noise, i kept going and i pull a trailer with my pickup truck and on my way home i was on the highway and she just started slowing down. In the mist of it slowing down i kept pressing the pedal and it would rev but not gain speed. I get it towed home and then come to find out there is little to no oil in the engine. The engine now only makes a strong click noise. It wont crank. Is the engine seized or locked?
I know the basics of a engine. I fix atvs on a daily basis.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

It's difficult to speculate but I think it fair to say an engine with no oil is very likely locked up. In any case it's mostly likely ready for a rebuild or replacement.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello first timer..I have a 2001 f150 as well noise in the engine but dose not sound like a rod metal to metal. it's more of air escaping around intake manifold. .anyone know what this could be?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Junior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford reman. replacement

Originally Posted by kingster
Im a newbie here, and i just want some insight. Today my truck started to make a knocking noise, i kept going and i pull a trailer with my pickup truck and on my way home i was on the highway and she just started slowing down. In the mist of it slowing down i kept pressing the pedal and it would rev but not gain speed. I get it towed home and then come to find out there is little to no oil in the engine. The engine now only makes a strong click noise. It wont crank. Is the engine seized or locked?
Put a Ford reman. replacement in it.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingster
Hard to say for certain but the story you've told makes it sound like it may be locked up.

Put a breaker bar on the crankshaft and see if you can turn it by hand. That will tell you a lot.

Quick Reply: 2001 ford f150 4.6L knocking noise