Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2 things

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 PM
FTP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 things

thing 1) does shaving the heads on a v8 4.6l engine (my truck) make a difference if there is a possability that the heads are warped.

thing 2) what would be easier, cheaper, and or better, swapping the v8 4.6l engine with a v8 5.4l engine from a truck from the same year(buy from ford) or rebuild my current 4.6l engine and put forged everything, a set of cams, bore it out to as large it can go(hopefully a 5.0) and everything that you would normally do during a rebuild
Old 08-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

buy a different truck
Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

1. Shaving the heads can have consequences. While it can increase the dynamic displacement AKA compression, it increases the chance of PTV and thats bad, mmkay. It can promote slack in the timing chains, while the tensioners can take care of it, I would rather be smart about it.

2. The 4.6L has a square bore and stroke, if you want maximum volumetric efficiency out of the engine, make hte bore larger while keeping the stroke to a minimum. Going big bore to 300-ish CID would make for a rev happy, powerful motor while keeping a relatively substantial torque curve. Worked heads, forged internals, etc....would be an excellent idea but keep in mind, you now have a somewhat restricted intake and exhaust, so open up the exhaust and port the manifold. Crane's Stage 2 grind makes for a good torque curve. This will come at somewhat of a price as you will have to use an Aluminum block because the bores will need to be sleeved, you can not go big bore with the iron block. The best mod motor guy in the business is John Tymensky@ modularperformance.com.....period. Building a forged mod motor IS NOT cheap.

3. The 5.4L is nice, but the 2V is honestly nothing more than a dump truck engine, its not a high rev'r and lacks the honest volumetric efficiency due to the increased stroke, the lack of bore leads to an engine that wont rev at the top end. You wanna tow **** and get poor mileage, its your engine.

So, what is your objective with the truck and how much do you really want to spend?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:23 AM
FTP

I would like it to go faster that it currently goes and get somewhat better gas milage (currently 180 miles per tank and that is on a good tank), while retaining the ability to go offroad and tow stuff, I also already have hedmen headers and a true dual flowmaster exhaust with magnaflow high flow cats, and a cold air intake

and no I will not sell my truck because I have litterally grown up with this truck my dad bought it when I was 9 and now I am 20 and I am driving it, so I want to keep it as long as possable.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:52 AM

Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 AM

Old 08-03-2007, 10:52 AM
FTP

.................what..............huh............ what...............what........................... .................................................. .................................................. ............................okay
Old 08-03-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Beowolf
.................what..............huh............ what...............what........................... .................................................. .................................................. ............................okay
Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:35 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Beowolf
I would like it to go faster that it currently goes and get somewhat better gas milage (currently 180 miles per tank and that is on a good tank), while retaining the ability to go offroad and tow stuff, I also already have hedmen headers and a true dual flowmaster exhaust with magnaflow high flow cats, and a cold air intake

and no I will not sell my truck because I have litterally grown up with this truck my dad bought it when I was 9 and now I am 20 and I am driving it, so I want to keep it as long as possable.
honestly, a CAI means absolutely nothing. I would rather have a larger MAF and a tune.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 PM
FTP

the other thing that I was thinking is that if I rebuild the engine I was going to put a supercharger on it to help with towing

and also what is PTV

Quick Reply: 2 things