Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

1998 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 engine problems

1998 F150. I have a problem with low oil pressure when I shift gears. It doesn't happen every time but, I am concerned
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dawsongang
1998 F150. I have a problem with low oil pressure when I shift gears. It doesn't happen every time but, I am concerned
Stop shifting gears.

We need more info. Is it while accel, on decel is the light coming on or is it a gauge drop? Does the same thing happen at idle? Is the engine overheating? What are the conditions? Is it in the same spot in your drive that this happens? Are you pulling a hill when it happens? Is your oil full? What weight oil are you using. INFO INFO INFO
Old 03-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Default F150 engine problem

Oil gauge drops during acceleration and does not happen when idle: however engine sounds loud. No overheating occurs. Happens at diferent times and different places. Has nothing to do with terrain. Oil is full and clean.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dawsongang
Oil gauge drops during acceleration and does not happen when idle: however engine sounds loud. No overheating occurs. Happens at diferent times and different places. Has nothing to do with terrain. Oil is full and clean.
Pull the oil pan off. If its on accel then there is prolly trash in the oil pan. Need to see if its sludge or plastic. If its plastic you need to pull the front of the engine down and replace the timing chain gears chain and guides. If its sludge you need to change your oil more often.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Default oil pressure problems

Check the oil pressure sender unit and or the wiring to it. A faulty connection can do the same as you describe. You wouldn't run an engine too long with no oil pressure and it would start to knock .
Old 10-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Old turk

Default 97 F-150 4.6L oil pressure

I had the same problem with oil pressure drop at idle after the engine had warmed up. I thought the worst . . . that I needed to replace the oil pump. I flushed the oil twice and then replaced the oil pressure sending unit after checking the pressure with a gage. Pressure good, sending unit bad. Ten dollar fix is better than $200.00 in parts.

Quick Reply: 1998 engine problems