Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

'07 4.6 in '98?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '07 4.6 in '98?

Ok, maybe this is a redundant question but I have a '98 that has the 4.6 in it. I know that it is the non-PI engine but I have the opportunity to purchase a 4.6 out of an '07 F150 complete.

Will this work if I use my harness?

I also know that I will either have to get a chip burned for my computer to use this engine or purchase a Superchips, etc. since it is a different set of operating parameters.

Everything I read suggest that they are both the two-valve engines. Any other differences that would interfere?

Anything
Old 04-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Accessories:

Originally Posted by Paints-n-cows
Ok, maybe this is a redundant question but I have a '98 that has the 4.6 in it. I know that it is the non-PI engine but I have the opportunity to purchase a 4.6 out of an '07 F150 complete.

Will this work if I use my harness?

I also know that I will either have to get a chip burned for my computer to use this engine or purchase a Superchips, etc. since it is a different set of operating parameters.

Everything I read suggest that they are both the two-valve engines. Any other differences that would interfere?

Anything
I think the major differences will be in the accessories; the basic engine, block, heads, etc., might be the same, but at least one electronic system issue is as follows:

The 98 uses EDIS-8 (coil packs on the front of each cylinder bank) that is a major disconnect with the 07 Coil-On-Plug, so the earlier system will need to transferred to the later engine, and coil pack mounts re-established on the later engine.

I have found no direct application compatibility between 98 and 07 engines/engine blocks, so more research needs to be done before you spring good bucks for the 07 engine.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 04-04-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had any information.

I had thought that I would have to continue to use my ignition system and wiring harness but wanted to make sure that there weren't other issues (i.e., engine mount, transmission bolt pattern, etc.) that were conflicting between the two engines.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

accessories and pulley orientation in terms of timing cover changes will be your biggest challenge. use your existing accessories and it should be fairly straightforward. Technically, you dont really need a retune as the changes wont be so far off base that the EEC's adaptive strategy wont be able to compensate...if the price is right, do it.

Quick Reply: '07 4.6 in '98?