Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

'03 F-150 sport 4.2L V6 to V8 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 F-150 sport 4.2L V6 to V8 conversion

Fellas,

I have a 2003 V6 f-150 sport and I am thinking about doing a V8 conversion. Have y'all ever done this or know of anybody who has before? What all am I going to need?

Also what type of engine and tranny would be best besides the obvious of a lightning and/or Harley. Triton with 2V head or 3V head or what about the 4V Navigator head? Can I make a mustang motor fit with relative ease?

Any knowledge of this conversion or ideas let them fly.

Thanks in advance,
Dub-T
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would you spend all the work on doing that? Just sell the truck and buy one already with a V8. I can see if you wanted to stuff a V8 into a Ranger or something but it makes no sense if there are plenty V8 F150s truck out there.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:33 AM

Going from the 4.2L to a v8 will need the motor mounts, wiring harness and pcm. Thats for starters. Depends on what you want to build for what engine you select. Transmission wise, will at least be the 4r70W for the 4.6L. You could opt for a manual, which I dont know the # or name for it.

Personally I liked the 5.4L that was in my truck. It had the automatic, which one I couldn't tell ya. Are you wanting a hualer, performance, etc.? This will help us give you suggestions as to what to look for in your conversion, and more of what specifically you would need.

As for the mustang motor, I think there is a thread on here somewhere. I'll try to look it up. Which would be theisable.

And, welcome to the forum!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 AM

The conversion would definitely be for performance. I want to be able to drive it to the strip and run it then drive it home. I was talking to a couple people and it seems like I'm going to have to go with forced induction to get the truck to where I want it, so I was think about the '03 cobra motor or some other factory built engine that can handle a decent amount of boost. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewjs05
The conversion would definitely be for performance. I want to be able to drive it to the strip and run it then drive it home. I was talking to a couple people and it seems like I'm going to have to go with forced induction to get the truck to where I want it, so I was think about the '03 cobra motor or some other factory built engine that can handle a decent amount of boost. Thank you for the feedback.
Honestly I would go with the 5.4 lightning find a diner and enjoy

Quick Reply: '03 F-150 sport 4.2L V6 to V8 conversion