Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

03 4.6 valve train noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 4.6 valve train noise

I have a 03 and drove it Saturday morn. and all was good . Later in the day I started it and a loud knocking is coming from under the drivers side valve cover . A friend told me it sounds like a loose rocker or bad lifter . I only have 66k miles ,any help or ideas would be great .
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Remove the LH valve cover and inspect, just to be sure. If you are not still using the 5W20 oil recommemded by Ford, change it back ASAP. All communications with Ford informs me top end damage will result with the thicker oil. If informed by friends or others, that you need thicker oil in the summer, say thank you and change it back. I live and drive in the Mojave desert, it can be 110+, stop and go freeway driving or hauling down the road, these engines love that oil. My 02 4.2L has 193K and just just keeps on running. Best all round vehicle I have ever owned, am saddened to hear this engine is no longer available. The last of the push rod engines, it will be a classic.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 03 4.6 liter and found out that the lifters were clogged up. According to my Chilton Manual, it states "since the lash adjusters(lifters) frequently become clogged as mileage increases, we recommend replacing them if you are concerned about their condition or if the engine is exhibiting valve tapping noises." Hope this helps and I'm new to the forum and my first post/reply!

Quick Reply: 03 4.6 valve train noise