Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

Would like your input on Piston scaring

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would like your input on Piston scaring

well as some of you know I have been replacing the headgaskets and the timing components. Followed all the directions online but on one points I made an assumption. The new crank gear had to timing marks on it. I assumed one is for the driver side and one for the passenger side. That is not the case. I didn't know, not did any instructions I came across mentions to only use the front mark. Either way it's my fault for assuming and not double checking.

put it all together and tried to start. instantly heard two loud clanks and motor locked up. tore the driver side head off as the rear gear was off on timing based on the fact you should only use the one mark in front. took the heard of and well...you can see the pics below!!.

Question I have is this:
Can I still use the pistons? Obviously i'm replacing the valves. I've read several posts on other forums saying your fine to use. Then some that say yes you can use them as long as you take a dremel and smooth things our as much as possible. Then other say "NO" as it will get hot and cause detonation.

The truck is 4x4 and pulling the motor or dropping the pan really isn't an options and sinking more money into it at this point I'm not sure is worth it. It's not a race truck, just a daily driver.

on a side note...if I used the pistons I should probably stop using the Edge tuner or am I able to mess with the timing/setting to keep things cooler in there?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm mainly looking for responses for those that have tore into engines and might have used pistons with scaring.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

Here's valves. http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/f-150...rt_name=valves exhaust Intake valve. http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/f-150...rt_name=valves these are for a 5.4 with PI heads. The trim and stuff is to my truck but still works.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

It's really a matter of what you're comfortable with.

I'd try using them.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

I wouldn't use them. They will create hot pockets on the piston and can scorch thru the ring land.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your in a pinch I am sure it would work. Just don't hammer on it too hard.

Quick Reply: Would like your input on Piston scaring