Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

P0302 Error Code – Misfire Cylinder #2

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0302 Error Code – Misfire Cylinder #2

Since I am new to this forum I thought a good way to introduce myself would be to present a problem and a solution. Hopefully this is helpful to someone struggling with a similar issue.

Just recently I drove my truck (2006 F150 V8, 5.4L) for the first time in a month. I had been away on a trip and during my absence it had rained heavily on several occasions. About a half hour into my drive, the engine started running really rough and the check engine light came on. After getting it back to my garage I put my OBD2 scanner on it and come to find it’s throwing a P0302 error code, misfire on cylinder #2. Further observation with the scanner revealed high LTFT’s on Bank1, roughly 19.0 to 29.0 values. Normally they’d be under 10.0. Just a side note, two years prior to this occurrence I had replaced all the injectors on Bank1 due to a misfire problem, which BTW resolved the issue. Thus I was pretty confident that it wouldn’t likely be a bad injector.

I pulled the COP on cylinder #2 and discovered that the boot was soaking wet and the spark plug well had about a ¼” of water in it. So, I cleaned out the SP well and cleaned up the boot and applied new dielectric grease to it and reinstalled it. However, before reinstalling the COP I used a Standard Ignition Tester (KD2757) to verify that I had a nice hot spark. There was no need to pull the plug, because the culprit was obvious. Cleared the code and truck ran normally again.

It’s interesting to note, that I ran into this issue once before when I made the mistake of shampooing the engine. The spark plug wells all filled up with water and I had to pull all the COP’s and dry everything. I’ll never do that again.

Hope this was helpful to someone. Having a scanner makes all the difference when you’re searching for clues.
The following users liked this post:
tonya runnels (02-25-2018)
Old 10-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

over time the coil on plug boots shrink and dont seal out moisture as well. they can be replaced for fairly cheap. my old 2v expedition was plagued with getting a drip down onto the #4 cylinder COP hole and causing a misfire when i would wash the car. i could never figure out how/where it was coming from... my wife had the car washed once and i had to get it towed home after the dude used a pressure washer near the hood/firewall seal... also it doenst help on some 5.4's that ford routed the heater core hoses directly over the ignition coils... so any leak there usually causes a misfire as well.

nice work with the diagnostic tools. i use a elm327 bluetooth odbii tool with the "torque" app on my phone to read live data, fuel trims, etc. its a lifesaver to be able to see whats going on with your car more than just sitting around waiting for a code to show up and by then they usually dogpile on each other.

Quick Reply: P0302 Error Code – Misfire Cylinder #2