Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

One time engine knock (2007 5.4 liter)

Old 10-04-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One time engine knock (2007 5.4 liter)

I just started visiting this site again after quite a while. Anyhow, about a year ago, my engine (2007 5.4 liter) started making a very loud knocking noise upon start-up. The knock got louder and "faster" with higher RPM's. After first hearing the knock, I had a friend, who is a mechanic, take a good look at everything. He is an experienced mechanic, especially when it comes to Ford engines, but he could find nothing that was concerning. The truck has always ran great and since it happened, it hasn't done it again. It sounded almost as if the fan was hitting the shroud, but there were no marks or any other indication that, that was the case. It did sound like it was coming from the front part of the engine, though, near the fan area. With how loud the knock was, I literally thought there was no oil in the engine, but all fluids were good. Again, it hasn't done this again since and all feels fine power wise. Any ideas as to what this could have been? It's been a year, I know, but I'm still at a loss.

Last edited by JTL89; 10-04-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 5.4 3v is notorious for needing cam phaser replacements for the VCT system. it could also be a timing chain tensioner. you could always do the old school method of sticking a hose up to your ear and holding the other end near suspected areas and trying to pinpoint the noise...
Old 11-01-2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ka0tyk
the 5.4 3v is notorious for needing cam phaser replacements for the VCT system. it could also be a timing chain tensioner. you could always do the old school method of sticking a hose up to your ear and holding the other end near suspected areas and trying to pinpoint the noise...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it were cam phaser issues, wouldn't it be a constant noise? Being that this was a one time event, I can't really pinpoint anything with a hose. It's been as quiet as can be since this instance.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:36 PM

It did this to me again today. I filmed a quick clip of the noise that it is making and uploaded it to YouTube. Please feel free to check it out, read the description and comment on there or on here. Here's the link:

Old 10-12-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds awful man. I have an 07 XLT and does that noise when I first fire it up for like a second and goes away. It does it 50% of the time. I just bought my truck so im not familiar with all this noises, tickings and rattles :s
Old 10-13-2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Christiancito
That sounds awful man. I have an 07 XLT and does that noise when I first fire it up for like a second and goes away. It does it 50% of the time. I just bought my truck so im not familiar with all this noises, tickings and rattles :s
It does sound awful. I can go start it now and it's as quiet as can be. I have no idea what it is. Like mentioned, it has only done it a couple of times. I, too, have that noise upon startup, though not nearly as loud as the video above. I've noticed many of the 3 valve engines do that. My noise comes from the timing chain area.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Sounds like timing chain slap...quits when the lash adjusters get oil moving...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: One time engine knock (2007 5.4 liter)