Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

Looking at buying 5.4 vehicle, should I run?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying 5.4 vehicle, should I run?

My wife and I are looking at buying her a new to us SUV.

I am have been looking at a bunch of brands, but have noticed the expedition fits our needs as well as seems to be about 80% of the price of a comparable Toyota or GM in our neck of the woods. More specifically we are in the market for somewhere between a 2003-2007 Expedition. I have read a lot about cam phasers as well as other issues... they cant all be bad right? There are millions of these trucks/suvs on the road...

If you were looking at a truck/suv with this engine in those years, what would you specifically look for? I read they all have a slight tick, so how do you decipher which is "normal" and which is about to cost 4 grand?

Are any of those years better or worse than others?

Thanks
Nate
Old 02-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

I asked the same question not long ago. I ended up getting one. I was told to look for an 08 with a build date after 10/07. Apparently they redesigned things after that.

And they said if you get one earlier, check the maintenance history, and listen for the diesel sounding tick in the engine. I Googled 5.4 cam phaser issues, and tons of videos popped up on Youtube that showed the sound everyone says to look for.

Some of the more experienced 5.4 guys can chime in and give you more info.

Biggest thing I did when looking for one, was I made sure the truck had a good service history. I asked for documentation.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying 5.4 vehicle, should I run?