Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

Engine noise making a bad day worse

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driver's side timing chain grinding a hole in the oil pump

Hello Folks!

I have a 2000 5.4 Triton. I removed the timing chain cover. The driver's side chain ate a hole into the oil pump. This was a new chain with new guides and tensioners. I bought the truck with warped heads. When I took the engine apart to fix this issue, I noticed that the original chain had broken chain guides and slight grinding on the oil pump. The passenger side chain had been grinding on the timing chain cover. I had the heads fixed and bought new chains and timing stuff mentioned above. I replaced all exactly as it was removed. Any ideas why the chain is doing so much damage? Are there spacers or something ? thanks..

Last edited by Chris80648; 05-30-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Problem found. Need help with this issue
Old 05-30-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just read a post about crankshaft thrust washers. I will have to check the play in my crankshaft. Sometimes, it's not easy to find posts related to one's problem. I will investigate this issue and hopefully be able to correct the problem. I can't afford to redo the block. I hope I can correct this issue without pulling the engine and having to have everything redone. I just has to last a few more years. Any thoughts? thanks... I will be looking up crank thrust also.

Last edited by Chris80648; 05-30-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: discovered more information

Quick Reply: Engine noise making a bad day worse