Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

5.4L 3V cam phaser fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4L 3V cam phaser fix

Need some expert advice here:
I bought a 2005 King ranch with 125k miles on it, and it's already sounding like a diesel. LOVE the truck - HATE the "I'm gonna die on you" sound (even though it is very light at this point). It makes the sound upon startup and anytime I put a load on the engine (accelerating up to ~ 2k rpm). It involves light ticking from the passenger side valve cover. Sounds kind of like a car makes when it is running low on oil (oil level is fine, 05w-20 Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic, Bosch oil filter, just changed 2 weeks ago). I am assuming this is probably the dreaded cam phaser issue and am planning a DIY repair. I will have some time this fall to get it into a bay and pull it apart.

My plan is to replace cam phasers, timing chains, tensioners, spark plugs (I've got the ****ty old ones!), and oil pump. I am using all OEM parts except for the oil pump - using a Melling 10340. I am hoping the improved oil pressure from the Melling will prevent the cam phaser issue from occurring again.

What's your input here? Do you think replacing the oil pump will solve the long term issue here? I have looked at the Livernois cam phaser lockout, but would rather keep the VVT feature so long as I can fix the underlying problem with it, which I have heard is the crap stock oil pump. I have to keep the truck on the road for about 5 more months before I can get it layed up in a proper mechanics bay. Any suggestions for keeping it alive until then (10W-30 oil? etc.)?

I am relatively inexperienced in installing timing chains, so this will be my first major job engine job. I consider myself somewhat handy with tools, I do my reading and research, and I am a perfectionist when it comes to doing the job right. Any suggestions for reading? Can a first timer get this done with proper preparation and tools? Any notes from guys who have done this job?

On a side note, do you suggest Champion or Motorcraft for spark plugs?

Selling the truck isn't an option here. I like it, she looks awesome, and I just want to get another 100K out of her without the engine dying. I appreciate everyone's time and expertise. As I go through this job, I am going to thoroughly document parts, procedures (with pics/videos) and results for all amateur/average Joe mechanics out there to share. The more help and advice you can provide, the better that final product will be.

Update1: Forgot to mention that I am using s_vares incredible write up as a guide. That guy should get a Nobel prize for the hard work he put in writing it! The Final Repair Guide to 5.4 Cam Phaser Tick/Knock Sound
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-re...-sound-141266/ . Following this, I want to also upgrade the oil pump to prevent future problems.

Last edited by KireRendrag; 04-20-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:00 PM
k_h
HMFIC

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you install the melling high pressure oil pump? I'm thinking of doing the same.

BTW, I used champion in mine simply for the peace of mind that they won't break. I've had them in now at least a year with no issues.

Quick Reply: 5.4L 3V cam phaser fix