5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

5.4 Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.4 Tuning

Basic rundown;

2002 crew cab, 5.4, 2wd

I drive this truck 98% highway and only see about 14-15mpg. I have a turbo laying in the garage that I want to put on in a rear mount setup. Not looking for crazy power, more wanting to increase highway mpgs, 5-8 psi max.

What I want to know is the capabilities of the factory ecu, and opinions about how I should tune this. My experience with turbo vehicles tells me I should be safe with slightly larger injectors and an FMU. But since I plan to own this truck for a long time, I'm wanting something a little more...... Safe. I'm thinking an SCT tuner should be more than capable of doing this, I just can't find anywhere that shows doing it.

This is my first ford. So I don't know a lot about them AT ALL. Please shed your knowledge and info with me.

I'm actually hoping that just the tuner can handle this, because using bigger injectors kinda seems counter productive to getting more mpgs. I don't really want to go beyond the limits of the factory injectors. I just want to see if I can improve mpgs. This is kind of a project/experiment.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I really thought I would get some input on this.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Tuning