Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

5.4 3v reman??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question 5.4 3v reman??

Facing a dead 5.4l 3v in my 2005 Screw

Looking at reman engines. Jasper costs $5112 with added costs for gasket kit, shipping, and so on.
Ford is right up there too.
Power source is at $3200 with OEM phasers

Anyone have any experience with these 5.4 remans?
I hate to buy a used engine as they seem so willing to have oil issues and timing issues. Trucks well cared for have needed engines at 75000 per others on this forum. So a 100K junkyard engine seems kind of a dumb idea. Plus they are getting $2000ish at junkyards around me.

This would be a great time for a diesel swap! But no time or money to do that now darn it!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel your pain. My 06 is sitting in the yard with a dropped valve (posted about it in 04-08 forum).
My stepfather deals in cars, so I'm driving one of his trucks, while we shop around for an engine. I was quoted $4700 for a Jasper 5.4. He can get a Ford reman @$4400 (he has a dealer account). If I bought it @5300. Junkyard's are same as you, $2-2500ish.
Either way, I'm selling or trading with one of his trucks if he wants mine. More emotional than anything. Bought mine brand new $30000 and never abused it and at 110K miles, engine is shot, so I'm done with it.
To answer your question, I haven't personally talked to anyone that has actually done the reman. I was told the oil flow flaw to heads is redesigned in these, but I can't confirm this. I also agree, a junkyard engine with @100K miles is risky. Could have the same issues.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:01 AM

Yeah, a lot of people here say if you are meticulous with your maintenance these will last, but I don't think its true. Yes some make it a lot of miles, but just as many are people like yourself, not that many miles but are sitting on a huge repair bill.
I just bought mine from a guy who was original owner. Said it was always cared for, has 200K miles. I think he had the engine full of something thick. Soon as I had the oil changed things got worse fast. I did timing chains, oil pump, and low end bearings, and then within a few day of running good, it died. Oil related. I assume a port feeding oil to the left head is plugged, or restricted enough to starve the cam/lifters.
I was looking at Power Source, they sell their remans for 3199. According to their site they have reworked the heads to prevent future oil issues on the top end and in the VCT system. Also comes with a 3 yr warranty, I think 100K miles too.
For me, I am at a point where I can't win either way. I am just lucky I didn't pay a lot for the truck. With a new engine I will still be in the truck less than $10K. But sucks that I will spend as much on the engine as I did on the truck, that ran good for a few days! I can't see spending and extra $2000 for the jasper or ford engine. It just seems like too much.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:33 PM

Hoping I might save my engine I pulled driver side valve cover off. My engine runs great cold. Let it warm up and the gremlins come out! lol Thinking oil flow issues at cam, I pull front cam bearing cap. Not too bad, but slight hint of something going on. Pull the next one back, groovy cam and cap, and filings in there. Skip one, and pull 4th cap, yeah its not good! Cap even has burn marks on it aside from embedded material and grooves, and filings. Engine is full of filings either from past issues or something new. Either way, it needs a head/cam/lifters on one side at minimum. That's if nothing else is wrong. So pretty much, it needs an engine. No way around it
Old 04-26-2016, 09:18 AM

Got a couple quotes.
Ford $7500 3yr/36K mile warranty.
Local shop, jasper engine $6850 3yr/100k warranty
Both jobs are complete replacement of engine.
OUCH!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by coolride
Got a couple quotes.
Ford $7500 3yr/36K mile warranty.
Local shop, jasper engine $6850 3yr/100k warranty
Both jobs are complete replacement of engine.
OUCH!
My engine just got replaced under warranty by the dealership. Bought the truck used and got an extended warranty. Final bill for the engine replacement was $7500, and that was with a Ford engine. Took them 2 weeks because the warranty company actually sent someone to verify it needed to be replaced. (only had the truck 2 weeks when this happened)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by skintback
I feel your pain. My 06 is sitting in the yard with a dropped valve (posted about it in 04-08 forum).
My stepfather deals in cars, so I'm driving one of his trucks, while we shop around for an engine. I was quoted $4700 for a Jasper 5.4. He can get a Ford reman @$4400 (he has a dealer account). If I bought it @5300. Junkyard's are same as you, $2-2500ish.
Either way, I'm selling or trading with one of his trucks if he wants mine. More emotional than anything. Bought mine brand new $30000 and never abused it and at 110K miles, engine is shot, so I'm done with it.
To answer your question, I haven't personally talked to anyone that has actually done the reman. I was told the oil flow flaw to heads is redesigned in these, but I can't confirm this. I also agree, a junkyard engine with @100K miles is risky. Could have the same issues.
I was told by the Ford tech that put my engine in my truck that a few things had been updated in the replacement engine. The oil pump and pick up tube were redisigned, and the heads had a redeign that allowed for better oil flow.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Ford seems to be the best option for a reman. They have the better warranty compared to the aftermarket's. 7500 seems to be about right for a engine replacement. I wouldnt complain, you'd be looking at around 3-4k for just fixing the phaser issue...
Old 04-28-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coolride
Facing a dead 5.4l 3v in my 2005 Screw

Looking at reman engines. Jasper costs $5112 with added costs for gasket kit, shipping, and so on.
Ford is right up there too.
Power source is at $3200 with OEM phasers

Anyone have any experience with these 5.4 remans?
I hate to buy a used engine as they seem so willing to have oil issues and timing issues. Trucks well cared for have needed engines at 75000 per others on this forum. So a 100K junkyard engine seems kind of a dumb idea. Plus they are getting $2000ish at junkyards around me.

This would be a great time for a diesel swap! But no time or money to do that now darn it!
I went to power train motors for my motor in my 2004 f150 and it has a no fault life time warranty been in now for 2 years no ticking or problems
Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 AM

I opted out. Sold the truck. No regrets

Quick Reply: 5.4 3v reman??