Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

5.4 3v... im lost... what to do next?

Old 08-29-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 5.4 3v... im lost... what to do next?

I had the inevitable phaser tick of doom at 130k and my 07 navigator 5.4 3v would run like crap at idle. I took the front off and found that I had broken a timing chain guide. I replaced EVERYTHING. Phasers, VCT solenoids, timing sensors, guides, tensioners, chain, lower sprocket. Put it all back together and it hasnt ran right since. It only rev's to 3k and once it starts to warm up the motor knocks around until it dies. I did some research on here and noticed that oil pressure is key. Since my heads looked horrible with brown oily goo and such as the previous owner probably never changed the oil I looked at the cam surfaces and heads. A litttttle bit of scoring. Oh well. I replaced the heads with fully rebuilt ones. Valve job, new lifters/lash adjusters the whole 9 yards. I also replaced the oil pump with a melling 3v unit. I grabbed an autometer oil pressure gauge and at cold high idle it reads 60psi. At idle it drops to around 40. I read that 26psi is required for the VCT system.

I have the following set of codes... 0345, 0344, 0340. I'm not sure where to go next. I've checked timing. I've checked compression. I've checked oil pressure. Everything is good. It seems like everything is going good, and then all the sudden after about 5 minutes from a start the motor stumbles like crazy out of nowhere and dies.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

p0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

p0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Intermittent Bank 1 or Single Sensor

p0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

Symptoms can include: Hard starting or no start Rough running / misfiring Loss of engine power

Possible causes: a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken the camshaft position sensor may have failed the PCM may have failed there exists an open circuit the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Here are some things to try: Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit Check for continuity in the circuit wiring Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor Replace the camshaft position sensor as required Check the crankshaft position circuit as well Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

Based on the information above, I would check the wiring to you cam solenoids and possibly replace both cam solenoids with the most recent updated part# 8L3Z-6M280-B

Silly question... did you install the crankshaft reluctor wheel on the crank shaft BEFORE you installed the timing cover?
Old 01-21-2016, 03:05 PM
k_h
HMFIC

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What was the out come of this? Did you fix your issue? I'm thinking of doing the melling high pressure oil pump as well. Is 40psi too high?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 3v... im lost... what to do next?