Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

4r70w transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4r70w transmission trouble

I'm new to F150 forum, I've been here many times to search what others have done for basic problems or questions with great results. I'll just start with what's going on right now.
So I have a 2002 F150 5.4 with a 4r70w transmission, the problem started when I was making a turn and as I pressed the accelerator the truck shuddered lightly and went back to normal. It didn't do it again until a week later and progressively got worse to the point the trans decided to give out halfway home. I drove 10 miles home in limp in mode. At this point the symptoms were the service engine soon light is on and the overdrive light is flashing. When accelerating the truck gets to about 25 mph and won't shift into third unless i keep on it, if I go above 25 and let go of the accelerator I lose all control of speed and I just drop until I get back to 25 or below. Bisicaly I get stuck in 2nd gear and if I try to go past 25 then I'm just reving the engine.
After help from multiple people and other sources I haven't had any luck with fixing the problem. Codes from my scan tool have changed multiple times. First code told me to replace the shift solenoid, so that was replaced along with the wiring harness because the scanner shows and electrical fault. Nothing changed. P1747, I didn't change the pcm because my scanner shows the pcm working properly. got a p0500 so I replaced the vss. Still no change.
No more codes showing up but no progress.
Any help will do.