Topic Sponsor
5.0L Discuss the 5.0L engine here.

Worst case knocking / clatter

Old 03-07-2014, 07:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Worst case knocking / clatter

Well I just got a call from the Ford Dealership and my 2012 is one really sick puppy. Shortly after my last oil change I started to notice knocking and clattering coming from the engine. So I took it in and told them I'm not driving this because whatever it is it doesn't sound good. Well they told me something is definitely wrong and they will have it for a week or more and will have to open it up...
Now one thing they mentioned was my CNG conversion and I said that has nothing to do with the "internals" of the engine and my engine warranty should cover anything.
Let's see how this turns out.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 PM

UPDATE::

I'm now called, "The Tare-down".
Wierd I took my Truck in Tuesday Night and today. Friday The service rep got onto a mechanic over the phone saying, "when are you going to have it? The parts will be in from Ford when?" Only to reaffirm that they still do not know what is wrong with it?

So my question was, what parts? Didn't really get an answer other than it will still be a week plus...

.........more updates to come..
Old 03-09-2014, 02:12 PM

Well I talked with service again on Saturday just to get clearer info and they do from time to time get engines like this. From the way I understand it they have a service call that is coordinated with Ford that they will start working Monday and I should know something either Monday or Tuesday.
I also talked with a salesman just to get an idea of what they could get a hold of. That is just in case there is any metal in the engine. I told service if anything shaved it was unacceptable for the long term usage of the truck.
Hopefully this all turns out to be nothing. However tare-down sure doesn't seem like it.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM

Well today is Monday and my voice mail from the dealership indicates, "it should be covered under warranty". Like, what wouldn't be?!? Hopefully I have good news Tuesday.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Good luck! Hope its nothing serious, but im sure they will find a way to blame you for the issue.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM

Today, Wednesday...

New engine will be installed. Covered under warranty...

Only info I have is, "there was too much junk in the engine".
Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 AM

Today... (day 15) another Wednesday, still no engine shipped in.. Still in transit.

After 4 times asking service finally told me it was an oval cylinder. I'm going to see if it was cylinder #8 like in the racing threads.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 AM

Well day 22 and I have my truck back. $0... just out of pocket about $1000 for rental and CNG shop once over.

I never want to go through this again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worst case knocking / clatter