Topic Sponsor
5.0L Discuss the 5.0L engine here.

Where's My PIP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where's My PIP?

1993 Ford F150 5.0L with EEC-IV system. The truck suddenly dies with only a flicker of life when the key is first turned. New PCM and all related components check out OK with an OBD1 tester. The ignition shows strong spark. However, in a small note on a PIP test sequence website, it was noted that some PIPs send a lone signal to the ICM and others send two signals, one to the ICM and another to the PCM. Regardless, I'm working my way through that issue with a home made LED tester. My question is simple. Where is the PIP located? I have a distributor that does not have the typical bolt-on module as shown in most diagrams. My DIST has seven wires coming out of a grommet on the side that goes into a quick disconnect about 4" away. Does someone have a wiring diagram for this configuration?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found a diagram for my particular ignition. My truck has a very interesting setup. The distributor seems to be an early unit and not on any charts for 1993. It does match the '88 dist. specs with an 8 wire connector disconnect (7 wires used, #5 not used). I tested the PIP signal at the ICM and PCM. Both tested fine. Another interesting fact came up though. I have the 104 wire PCM, like the one used in 1996.... However, the new PCM for my 1993 5.0L matches perfectly. Very confusing and typical of Fords policy of using whatever part is available at the time of assembly.

Quick Reply: Where's My PIP?