Topic Sponsor
5.0L Discuss the 5.0L engine here.

5.0L Upgrade Advice

Old 02-03-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.0L Upgrade Advice

I just got a 2014 FX4 with the 5.0L in it, and am trying to get more torque and throttle response without increasing the noise to an unbearable level. I've been researching a lot but am reading some conflicting info, so thought I would ask some from those that know. These are what I'm considering:

1- SCT tuner: will do this for sure

2- Exhaust: will at least do a cat back (probably magnaflow), would like to do headers and full dual but am unsure about how loud it will be while driving. What's the best option while keeping the noise at a reasonable level?

3- Intake: Am leaning towards an AFE CAI, have read of some saying that the CAI doesnt do anything for performance?

4- Boss intake manifold: have heard a lot of people say these will lower torque but increase hp and rpm range... which i dont care so much about in a truck. The thing is 5startuning shows a small torque increase while getting some HP on their dyno graph... I'm not sure which to believe. This one is my biggest question on if it's worth the money.

I'll be adding the Bilstein 5100's and some bigger tires to get a little more clearance, am just trying to figure out the best route to get some more torque.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:16 AM

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by peterwinkle
I just got a 2014 FX4 with the 5.0L in it, and am trying to get more torque and throttle response without increasing the noise to an unbearable level. I've been researching a lot but am reading some conflicting info, so thought I would ask some from those that know. These are what I'm considering: 1- SCT tuner: will do this for sure 2- Exhaust: will at least do a cat back (probably magnaflow), would like to do headers and full dual but am unsure about how loud it will be while driving. What's the best option while keeping the noise at a reasonable level? 3- Intake: Am leaning towards an AFE CAI, have read of some saying that the CAI doesnt do anything for performance? 4- Boss intake manifold: have heard a lot of people say these will lower torque but increase hp and rpm range... which i dont care so much about in a truck. The thing is 5startuning shows a small torque increase while getting some HP on their dyno graph... I'm not sure which to believe. This one is my biggest question on if it's worth the money. I'll be adding the Bilstein 5100's and some bigger tires to get a little more clearance, am just trying to figure out the best route to get some more torque.
how much you willing to spend?? All those mods cost quite a bit of dough, 3-4K. If I were you and were serious about it id look into the stainless works or afe full length header kit with cats, and then put on a decent catback with a quieter muffler, it won't be that loud. Next up would be to never look at the boss intake , not that great and terrible for a pickup , the cobra jet intake is the one ya want. Sct x4 for a tuner , and go through 5 star , mpt or vmp for a tune.
The following users liked this post:
peterwinkle (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 174 Likes on 79 Posts

I just got a 2014 FX4 with the 5.0L in it, and am trying to get more torque and throttle response without increasing the noise to an unbearable level. I've been researching a lot but am reading some conflicting info, so thought I would ask some from those that know. These are what I'm considering:

1- SCT tuner: will do this for sure

2- Exhaust: will at least do a cat back (probably magnaflow), would like to do headers and full dual but am unsure about how loud it will be while driving. What's the best option while keeping the noise at a reasonable level?

3- Intake: Am leaning towards an AFE CAI, have read of some saying that the CAI doesnt do anything for performance?

4- Boss intake manifold: have heard a lot of people say these will lower torque but increase hp and rpm range... which i dont care so much about in a truck. The thing is 5startuning shows a small torque increase while getting some HP on their dyno graph... I'm not sure which to believe. This one is my biggest question on if it's worth the money.

I'll be adding the Bilstein 5100's and some bigger tires to get a little more clearance, am just trying to figure out the best route to get some more torque.
Those are some really good mods we have seen some really good gains when it is tuned for the specific mod. If you start with the tuner from 5 Star we have package deals with the AFE intake. That is a good place to start. If you decide to go any farther we do have options for all of those mods. We will also update your tunes for whatever you add on when you purchase them from us. If you have any questions feel free to contact us and we will be able to get you set up.
peterwinkle (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nd5.4f150
how much you willing to spend?? All those mods cost quite a bit of dough, 3-4K. If I were you and were serious about it id look into the stainless works or afe full length header kit with cats, and then put on a decent catback with a quieter muffler, it won't be that loud. Next up would be to never look at the boss intake , not that great and terrible for a pickup , the cobra jet intake is the one ya want. Sct x4 for a tuner , and go through 5 star , mpt or vmp for a tune.
I've been doing quite a bit of research since I posted this and I'm thinking I will do the tune and a full length header & catback. I think you're right on the Boss, from what I'm finding out it will lower torque to give to the top end... which is not what I want. The Cobra Jet would be nice, but I think that's stepping it up another level on the cost so will probably hold off on that one.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

I've been doing quite a bit of research since I posted this and I'm thinking I will do the tune and a full length header & catback. I think you're right on the Boss, from what I'm finding out it will lower torque to give to the top end... which is not what I want. The Cobra Jet would be nice, but I think that's stepping it up another level on the cost so will probably hold off on that one.
honesty I think you would be really happy with the stock intake , full exhaust , and the afe or a jlt cai all with a good tune. And it would save you about 1k bucks. 450+ hp in these pickups gets them movin pretty good.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 PM
F150 Forum

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

That looks like a great list of mods to start off with. Our F-150 catbacks are meant to give you a nice tone improvement over stock, while raising the volume only slightly until you really get on the gas. They are designed with daily driving in mind, so you wont have to worry about going deaf after long drives, or waking your neighbors up. You have the option of our single rear exit (15000/15365) or a same-side dual exit after the passenger rear tire (15461). If you happen to have any other questions regarding an exhaust setup for your truck, just give us a call!
peterwinkle (02-10-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nd5.4f150
Gonna have to wait on the cobra jet....only available on the 15' and 16' models. I already inquired.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdude
Gonna have to wait on the cobra jet....only available on the 15' and 16' models. I already inquired.
If your going to spend that kind of money. Double it & buy a blower. Then you will have all the torque you want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0L Upgrade Advice