Topic Sponsor
5.0L Discuss the 5.0L engine here.

1987 F150 misfire problem, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 F150 misfire problem, please help.

Ok starting off i have a 1987 4x4 F-150 5.0, in the last week it suddenly lost about 50% of its power. So i changed plugs, no change, changed wires, still no change, so i started taking plug wires off the distributor and at least 3 when taken off make no change to the engine. im not all that great at mechancs work but learned alot from being around it so assumed it just was no fire. plugs dont smell like gas when taken out. so i put a spare plug on the wire and grounded it and still got spark on all the cylenders that seem to make no effect when i disconect from the ditributor. and iv made sure the firing pattern is correct. and the timing is good. none are crossfiring. im lost, i get no codes either. no cel. all the injectors sound to be working and i can feel the tick if i place my finger on the injector when its running. i used to be able to spin tires in 2nd gear from a stop. now it is slugish and takes 3x as long to get to highway speeds. its a 4 speed and in 4th gear there is no acceleration at all, it will hold speed and thats about it, im pretty sure its only running on 4 but if you know whats going on please let me know and ill try to do as you say. but just bear with me since i might not know all of what you say. THank you all for your time and advice in advance.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:44 PM

i have also put a new fuel pump and fuel filter in. and still get good pressure to the rail.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 PM

i seen so many fast replies on this site but apparetnly not everyone gets that help lol, but despite the serious lack of advice recieved, the problem has been fixed if anyone else was looking for the same issue, the pump was good and injectors still worked but the screen at the top of the injectors had buildup that the seafoam and other injector cleaners were not helping took them out sprayed with carb cleaner and picked out the junk put em back and runs beautifully.

Quick Reply: 1987 F150 misfire problem, please help.