Topic Sponsor
4.6L 2V Discuss the 2 valve 4.6L here.

Smoking Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking Exhaust Manifold

Hello. I have a question. I recently replaced a left side head gasket on my 2005 F-150 with a 4.6 V8. It was leaking coolant from the back of the block and when I removed the head, an innner layer on the gasket was broken out right around where the coolant was leaking. So...I cleaned the head an block, checked the head to see if it was warped (which it wasn't), and put the head back on. While I was in there I replaced the timing chains, guides, and tensioners. I followed the procedure that Alldata had very very carefully for placing the chains back on so as not to screw up the timing. All went well. I replaced all the gaskets from there on up. Finally got everything back together this morning. Filled fluids and started it up. It was leaking a lot of oil underneath that I found to be a wire that was caught between the oil filter and the block. Removed the filter, moved the wire, replaced the filter, and filled the oil back up. Then I started the engine again. Absolutely no problem starting.....and here's where my issue arose. So after the engine ran for 30-45 seconds I start to see white smoke coming up from the left (drivers) side of the engine. As I look down it looks like its coming from the exhaust manifold. I crawl underneath and sure enough it looks like its coming front the ream most exhaust port. It almost looked like it was wet but there was no fluid leaking anywhere around it while running. Now it looks like its acutally coming Off of the manifold itself. I revved the engine to about 2000 or so rpm's and I could't tell if the smoke got worse or if the air from the fan was blowing it around more. Also when I let off the gas and let the engine return to idle, it almost stalled. I'm not sure if thats from it sitting for a few months, yes months. It idles fine and when it was revving it seemed fine. I didn't drive it this just happend sitting in my garage. I really hope I dont have to take everything apart again. Any advice would help. Also, the smoke was still there after I shut the engine off. It took about 10 minutes or so for it to stop. Could it be the oil that leaked from the filter when I first stated it? Sorry for the extremely long question... On a side note I sprayed the heck out of the manifold with PB Blaster to get a bolt off at one point...
Old 01-31-2015, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,135 Likes on 2,836 Posts

just the PB blast burning off

Quick Reply: Smoking Exhaust Manifold