Topic Sponsor
3.5L EcoBoost Engine Discuss the 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

Oil pressure and Timing chain/ phaser HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Oil pressure and Timing chain/ phaser HELP

I am having issues with oil pressure on my 2011 ecoboost v6 with 25,000 miles on it (50,000 km).

Would come into alarm after warmed up and when stopping(pressure would drop to 0 for a second - then come back). Would happen when you stopped moving at a stop light or stop sign. Was not weather dependent.
They changed the sensor - came back
They checked all the wiring - no issues
I asked them to put a manual pressure guage on it temporarily so i could see what is actually happening when the vehicle goes into alarm.
They installed the guage - started the truck while still on the hoist
A short time later the removed the guage
They then told me that i have low oil pressure and they suspect it may have to do with the timing chain and phasers?
Vehicle goes back in next week for a few days so they can investigate more.
As a retired engineer - i can not understand how the timing chain and phasers could possibly effect the oil pressure?

Is there anything that i am missing here? any help greatly appreciated

Rick
Old 08-31-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Update

Truck went in on Monday afternoon - received a call late Tuesday evening - new longblock ordered to replace engine in truck - did not ask why - must have been too many bad things found to justify repairing - suspect signs of excessive wear from low pressure and pressures dropping to 0 intermittently. Thank god for extended warranty and extended service package!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by doanster
Truck went in on Monday afternoon - received a call late Tuesday evening - new longblock ordered to replace engine in truck - did not ask why - must have been too many bad things found to justify repairing - suspect signs of excessive wear from low pressure and pressures dropping to 0 intermittently. Thank god for extended warranty and extended service package!
Oh man! Good to hear! Thanks for updating your thread too

Quick Reply: Oil pressure and Timing chain/ phaser HELP