Topic Sponsor
3.5L EcoBoost Engine Discuss the 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

ecoboost Airaid intake popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecoboost Airaid intake popping noise

I recently put an airaid intake on my 2011 ecoboost, after driving the truck for the first time after installing the intake, I noticed a popping/hiccup noise at low rpm. shove on the throttle and the noise stops, but keeping the truck around 1500 rpm, the noise is constant and annoying. anyone have this problem? and is there a solution? thanks.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Elite

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I experience some slight popping and feel it through the gas pedal. I think it's the internal bov system and airflow making a pop. It usually only does it a couple times when the truck is cold. Haven't experienced any issues at all though. No loss of power and under a full throttle run it doesn't make a sound. All fittings are tight as can be too.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Did you remove your 2 twirly thingies?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Honey badger don't care

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you supposed to remove the "twirly thingies"? Mine make the same noise and it is driving me crazy. The noise is somehow caused by the intake as I have tried two different intakes and the both cause the popping noise.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently added the airaid intake to my ecoboost and haven't had a problem...I can hear the turbos more now which is nice...u can really hear the intake sucking the air in...have not notice any sounds like ur saying...haven't heard anyone say anything like that. Haven't had a chance to notice power gains it's been rainy and snowed so ever time I punch it I spin. Nothin on mpg yet either...I was getting 18 to 19 before it.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the exact same issue with my injen intake.

its a very annoying popping sound.

same issue with another friend, "EVSMOTORS" here. Ecoboost with an injen intake
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM

I've put about 500 miles on the truck with the airaid cai installed and still haven't heard any popping noise and I've been paying close attention to hear anything different. Are u guys running stock exshaust? I still have a stock exshaust with mine looking for an aftermarket one tho. I've tried to get the truck to make the noise I've gas it then let up quick, coasted, uphill, down hill, pump the gas...no new noise except the turbos are louder but not a popping sound
Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it usually makes the noise when the truck shifts into high gear at low rpm. I put a bullydog tuner on my truck hoping it would solve it but made it worse.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 PM

I just put an injen cold air on my ecoboost and noticed a popping sound and also a humming noise. I was a little unsure of what would cause this because I also have a 6" lift on it so I wasn't sure what was causing all the noise so I took it to Ford to have someone ride with me to listen to the noise that we all aren't happy hearing. He explained to me the reason were hearing this after the intake is put on us because were hearing our gate valves open and shut on our turbos and the humming nose in when it's bypassing. The stock intake is made to muffle all that noise so unless your putting one on your ecoboost your not going to notice these popping noises. In most cases.

Last edited by RyansEco243; 01-21-2012 at 03:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey chum I too have the injen on mine and here the noises u speak of. Will this cause any damage or is it something that always happens but u just don't hear it

Quick Reply: ecoboost Airaid intake popping noise