Topic Sponsor
3.5L EcoBoost Engine Discuss the 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

Any successful 2011 Eco rebuilds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any successful 2011 Eco rebuilds?

My 2011 Eco is setting in a garage waiting to be repaired for the notorious timing chain issue. I'm praying Ford might step up to the plate and help me out of this mess but @88k I doubt they will.

Are there any folks out there that have had this known issue repaired and have racked any mileage up AFTER the repair?

I don't buy new $40k-$50k trucks just to trade them in every 2 years and want/need my trucks to last at least up to 200k miles before bad things happen and I sell it.

If I dump $3K into it and replace EVERYTHING inside the front of this thing, will I reliably get another 100k miles from it? Is there anyone out there still driving a timing chain (the whole nine yards) repaired 3.5 Eco?

I'm just a little sick to my stomach over this BS.
Really sucks because this was my first Ford and I loved this EB while it lasted. Never again.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:31 PM

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Yeah. Technically no interior parts get replaced. Just the cam phasers and chain. But yeah it's a permanent fix and you'll go the distance after the fix.
Attached Thumbnails Any successful 2011 Eco rebuilds?-image-1024206308.png  
Old 08-21-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rexey
Yeah. Technically no interior parts get replaced. Just the cam phasers and chain. But yeah it's a permanent fix and you'll go the distance after the fix.
Thanks for the reply Rexey. Can you point me in the right direction to find these people that have driven many miles AFTER the repairs? I have looked but have never found anyone making such a claim.
My dealer has given me a quote for the repairs but they only have one phaser in it. When I'm a little worried about that as I have read that you should replace both phasers while it's torn apart because it's just a matter of time before the other one goes.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:05 AM

What your asking for is kind of backward don't you think? Those with long term fixes don't jump up and down. They drive their truck. Those that have constant issue and broken trucks do. So the lack of those with broken trucks with "the fix" should be speaking volumes on its own. If this isn't enough I don't know what to say.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Mine has been absolutely fine after phaser fix done last september. Have not heard of anyone that has had the issues come back.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by winchested
Mine has been absolutely fine after phaser fix done last september. Have not heard of anyone that has had the issues come back.
what's your miles? Year of truck? Out of warrenty? If so, did ford still help?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

In warranty 75+ K Kilometers. 2011. No warranty now however that just ran out in June.

If you're doing it on your own I'd be taking it to a private mechanic and have the TSB with parts list. Have it all ordered and get another mechanic to do the work other than ford.

If warranty period is over you have no leg to stand on against Ford, their obligation to you is over and unfortunately you're on your own. I'd be pissed big time too.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by winchested
In warranty 75+ K Kilometers. 2011. No warranty now however that just ran out in June. If you're doing it on your own I'd be taking it to a private mechanic and have the TSB with parts list. Have it all ordered and get another mechanic to do the work other than ford. If warranty period is over you have no leg to stand on against Ford, their obligation to you is over and unfortunately you're on your own. I'd be pissed big time too.
as you are correct there are many cases out of warranty where there was a well known issue that ford has at the least split the cost. The last one I heard of was parts were covered and half labor.
I would check with ford first before any fix.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:52 PM

I gave up on the run-around I was getting and traded in my 2011 EB for a 2016 2.7L EB. Ford only offered to pay $500 towards this known failure. I was just a little pissed to say the least.

Thankfully the dealership helped me out with a very fair trade-in for my 2011 "as-is" and dropped the price on the 2016 to where I just couldn't resist. I did not want a new truck right now but I just couldn't take the chance of spending the money to fix it just to have it fail down the road 6 months.

So hopefully my misery is over now and this little 2.7L makes it to 300,000. I'm going to be changing the oil every 4-5k miles on this puppy.

The dealership has a special program they have had for several years, started just AFTER I bought my truck from them, where they give you a 10 year 200,000 warranty on any new vehicle. This basically covers the engine and tranny. You just need to have all your regular services done by them and you pay an extra $9 on every oil change to cover the Daytona engine oil conditioner that they add at each oil change. That's $36/yr extra in my case so I figured this should let me sleep a little better at night without paying $1600 for the normal extended warranty up front.

I have to say though, this little 2.7L EB is just crazy nice. Power and mileage wise.
And the 302A package is super nice. Just slamming the door shut I noticed a HUGE improvement in the quality and a few other improvements I've notice so far.

Quick Reply: Any successful 2011 Eco rebuilds?