Topic Sponsor
Tires, Wheels and Suspension "How-To" articles pertaining to the Tires, Wheels and Suspension of an F150.

Steering component replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering component replacement

New poster please be gentle!

I need to replace my tie rods, drag link and other components. I have never attempted this type of project before, but due to economics, I have to do it myself. Is there an online step by step guide available as a resource? I can muddle my way through it but then I tend to either try to cut corners or take unnecessary steps. I plan on having pros align it after the parts are installed.

Any and all help and suggestions are welcome.

I am not a mechanic but I have enough tools, logic, understanding, and determination to attempt and ultimately fix anything on this truck.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you do know you will need an alignment when finished right?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

youtube and google can help out. also doing a search on any of these truck forums will lead you to HOW-TO on all sorts of installs.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM

just realized this was an old post....my bad
Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

This is an old post lol. But here is for those who want it done.

I did mine this past summer. Easy if you have the right tools.

Jack up the front end and use jack stands. Unlock the steering wheel (leave the key in). remove the front tires(optional but makes it easier). remove the cotter pins from the tie rod bolts, drag link ad to the steering box.

Loosen the bolts off and use a pickle ford to loosen the tie rods out of the knuckle or hammer the ends up, then the drag link to the steering box. Easy to drop it into one assembly.

Do the drag link and the right side tie rod first, then the left inner and outer tie rod. Be sure to thread in the sleeves equally on each side. After all that go get you're alignment done, I eye balled with a measuring tape to get me trough the weekend till I did it myself on my day off at work.
Attached Thumbnails Steering component replacement-img-20120920-00257.jpg   Steering component replacement-img-20120920-00258.jpg   Steering component replacement-img-20120920-00259.jpg   Steering component replacement-img-20120920-00260.jpg   Steering component replacement-img-20120920-00261.jpg  

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mrslyfox
just realized this was an old post....my bad
hahaha i didnt even notice.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Thank you! Yes it is an old post but I still haven't done it. I have the parts but really don't want to lay in the ice and snow to do this. The truck is parked and used very little right now because of the steering issues. Thankfully when I have driven it the linkages have held together and not broken. I know I am pushing my luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 PM

most likely won't just fall apart till they are really bad...but you are seriously putting your own and possibly other people lives in danger. all of a sudden something breaks out comes apart and you have a head on collision or shoot a few feet onto the sidewalk and kill someone. really...fix it one way or another before someone gets hurt or killed. you don't want to keep driving something that you worry about the steering bustin up on ya. bad bad bad situation there man.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM

I guess maybe I should clarify. They are not in danger of breaking unless I were to take the truck off road and really hit something hard. (major impact) They are worn and sloppy the bearings are gone but there is still plenty of meat left there to keep them together. I guess I should have been clearer. The safety of others on the road and my passengers is and always will be my highest priority.

Quick Reply: Steering component replacement