Topic Sponsor
Tires, Wheels and Suspension "How-To" articles pertaining to the Tires, Wheels and Suspension of an F150.

front caliper locks up

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front caliper locks up

My right front caliper locked up while driving. I replaced it and it worked fine for a year (in frequent use). The new caliper started intermittently locking up now. I also get a noticeable hissing sound coming from near the brake pedal...like air leaking out. Not sure how the power assist works on these (PFM: pure F magic?). Brake pads fine and so is fluid level. Hoping to do myself...the ol girl hasn't been to a professional in over 10 years...
Old 07-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Could be the hose to that caliper. They sometimes break down inside and don't allow the pressure to release immediately. That's where I would go first.
The following 2 users liked this post by joe mcmillan:
Hondobob (07-22-2013), Sweetfeet (03-04-2014)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 PM

good idea. if that's it, hope it didn't contaminate caliper. tomorrow will check how hard it is to replace for an amateur.

any ideas on the air / hiss by the break pedal? Still hisses sometimes when foot is just OFF the pedal. Thanks!.

Last edited by Hondobob; 07-21-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-24-2014, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hondobob
good idea. if that's it, hope it didn't contaminate caliper. tomorrow will check how hard it is to replace for an amateur.

any ideas on the air / hiss by the break pedal? Still hisses sometimes when foot is just OFF the pedal. Thanks!.
I got a constant hissing noise while driving my bronco due to a vaccum leak in the brake booster once. Hope that helps lol
The following users liked this post:
Hondobob (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 AM

Default hiss

inside the cab where the brake pedal linkage goes thru the floor, there is a plastic piece (back of vacuum component which under hood has master cylinder mounted on it) that started to breakdown with age...several cracks allow air leak and hissing noise. I slapped some RTV on it until get the money to replace.

Brakes work fine after replacing the old caliper HOSE.

Thanks to all.

Quick Reply: front caliper locks up