Topic Sponsor
Tires, Wheels and Suspension "How-To" articles pertaining to the Tires, Wheels and Suspension of an F150.

1996 brake problem/possibly related noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1996 brake problem/possibly related noise

I purchased a 1996 f-150xl a few weeks ago. It has the inline 6 cylinder and 5 speed manual transmission. It has 145,000 + miles. About 2 weeks ago I parked and applied the emergency brake with my foot on the brake pedal. The pedal suddenly went all the way to the floor and there was a puddle of brake fluid on the ground inside the front driver's side tire. I am not at all mechanically inclined and own few tools. A mechainic told me that the brake caliper on that wheel broke and sheared the brake line. I had front brake pads, calipers and hoses replaced on both sides. Cost was $400.00

1 week later I noticed what sounds to be metal on metal squeal/rubbing noise from the driver's side front wheel at very slow speed such as parking,backing from a parking place etc. The noise may very well be there all the time but I can't hear it at hgher speeds even with the window down due to road noise.

Ever since I bought the truck the brake pedal has been "mushy/spongy with the brakes not applying until the pedal is 1/2 way down or more. Brake fluid level is good. Also, ever since I bought the truck there has been a noise for 2-3 seconds when shutting off the engine that sounds almost like a turbine winding down to a stop. The mechanic said it appears to be a vaccum line leak but would probably be hard to find.

My question is do any of you think the two are probably related, such as vacuum line leak at the brake master cylinder causing the poor brake pedal performance and what would cause the new squeal at the front wheel after the brake replacement? Also the mechanic said there may be a problem at the back brakes causing the poor pedal feel.

I should also mention tht 2 days ago I was travelling at highway speed and had to brake hard when someone pulled out in front of me and the truck pulled hard to the left. I've never noticed this before.

Sorry for such a long post/question and thanks for any assistance/advice you can provide.

Moderators: I believe this was entered into wrong section accidentally. Please move as needed.
oldwest

Last edited by oldwest; 08-18-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: possibly in wrong thread topic section
Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Sounds like you have a terrible mechanic. The grinding noise is most likely the new pads on the old rotor because the pads are wearing to the old rotor. The may not have bled the brakes properly which would cause that spongy pedal or the rear brakes are now out of adjustment because of the parking brake and the adjusters are seized. Typically pumping the pedal will get it hard at stops then go soft again when you push it down in this case. Mis adjusted brakes will also pull to one side.

A leaking booster won't cause a spongy pedal but that doesn't mean its not leaking either. To find a vacuum leak, spray some carb cleaner around the air line, intake gaskets and booster with the engine running. If the engine idle changes sudenly, you know where the location of you're leak is.

Last edited by sylver91; 08-18-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 1996 brake problem/possibly related noise