Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Would air in the clutch cause this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Would air in the clutch cause this.

Would air in the clutch cause it to grind going into first (unless I hold it at least 2 seconds at stop) occasional hard shifts. Late release of the clutch its self from the flywheel? Could air in the clutch line cause all that?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would say air but late release might be a slave going bad.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be 3 things your slave cylinder and throwout bearing are goin out or you got air in the hydraulic system OR your clutch master cylinder is goin out. Open the observation cap and see if there is fluid leaking from the cylinder, if not you might have air in the system... Or the other 2 things..
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

To find out if you have air in the system, see if you need to top up the clutch master reservoir on the firewall drivers side, if you do need to top it up most likely theres a leak but top it off with dot 3 brake fluid anyways, then.... just pump that clutch like you hate it!

The only way to build pressure in the hyd systems of these clutches is to literally pump the air out of em, you cant bleed them like you do with brakes even tho there is a bleed screw. Pumping it will help push out the air. If it isn't any better after 15 min of pumping, you see a pool of fluid and you need to top off again, then you're slave cyl is bad, very bad or on the verge of dying.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would think if I did that it might cause a problem that I didn't have before rather than reveal one I have. Another thing I have noticed. I can put it in neutral, let out on the clutch ant it clang and lung forward like it is still in gear. Bad fork? Thinking of relacing it with a 4wd M5R2 or Zf5 anyway.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:59 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by sylver91
To find out if you have air in the system, see if you need to top up the clutch master reservoir on the firewall drivers side, if you do need to top it up most likely theres a leak but top it off with dot 3 brake fluid anyways, then.... just pump that clutch like you hate it!

The only way to build pressure in the hyd systems of these clutches is to literally pump the air out of em, you cant bleed them like you do with brakes even tho there is a bleed screw. Pumping it will help push out the air. If it isn't any better after 15 min of pumping, you see a pool of fluid and you need to top off again, then you're slave cyl is bad, very bad or on the verge of dying.
The man speaks the truth.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by dhonnoll
I would think if I did that it might cause a problem that I didn't have before rather than reveal one I have. Another thing I have noticed. I can put it in neutral, let out on the clutch ant it clang and lung forward like it is still in gear. Bad fork? Thinking of relacing it with a 4wd M5R2 or Zf5 anyway.
Shift fork? Maybe. Not hard to fix, you can pull the top of the trans off through the hole in the floor.

Quick Reply: Would air in the clutch cause this.