Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Wirring a CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Wirring a CB Radio

I am possibly thinking of hooking up a CB radio. I will mostly be using it for communicating with some friends in their trucks while we're off roading or traveling together. In all cases they will be within a mile or so of me so a super long range setup is not needed.

My question is how to properly hookup the CB? I have good mechanical knowledge but when it comes to automotive electrical I'm confused at best.

I have done some research and from what I understand some say it is as easy as hooking the CB Radio to a ground point and then the battery and then attaching the antenna cord to the CB Radio. Maybe it is but this sounds to simple?

What is the right way to hook up a CB radio?
Also what would be required to allow me to get weather reports through the CB? It would be nice but not a necessity.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I appreciate any help.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:38 PM
paint sucks

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

please repost in the electrical section, i also want to know. when you do please put the link in here.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Sometimes it is that simple. You can use the battery for a power source and then find a suitable ground. The radio will have power 24/7 this way. If you want it to work only when the key is on, find a fuse in your panel that works on the key switch.

Just be sure to use an inline fuse for the CB not too far from the power source connection.

As far as weather reports, I could be wrong (been SEVERAL years since I've done anything with CB), but there should be a WX function that should allow you to pick up your local NOAA station. All depends on how far away it is and the + gain your antenna provides.
The following users liked this post:
F150one (10-26-2021)
Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's as easy as you just described. For weather reports you will need a slightly higher-dollar model CB that comes with that function built-in.
The following users liked this post:
F150one (10-26-2021)
Old 05-21-2016, 07:06 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

My cb came with a cord that plugged into the power port. That works great if you don't want a permanent install. Mount a lil will magnetic base antenna in the middle of the roof and run the cable in the door. You can install or take out the cb in a couple of minutes. I hardwired mine to a fuse that's live all the time because I don't intend to take it out and I didn't want a dangling cord. I ran my antenna cable down the back right corner of the cab and into the cab through an existing hole under the kickplate. No visible wires
Old 05-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkenprice1
My cb came with a cord that plugged into the power port. That works great if you don't want a permanent install. Mount a lil will magnetic base antenna in the middle of the roof and run the cable in the door. You can install or take out the cb in a couple of minutes. I hardwired mine to a fuse that's live all the time because I don't intend to take it out and I didn't want a dangling cord. I ran my antenna cable down the back right corner of the cab and into the cab through an existing hole under the kickplate. No visible wires
I installed mine exactly how you described, I hard wired mine to the fuse panel as I don't like all the wires everywhere either.
It was an easy install looking back on it. This was one of the first things I did to the truck after getting it. I've been getting better but I used to and still do for that matter sometimes question myself and lack the confidence when it comes to working on this truck. I've been getting better though, I just finished installing new shocks all around and coil springs Up front-all myself minus alignment. In this case Though I was worried I'd fry the electrical system and was looking for some calcification to be sure, but so far so good!

I've had the radio installed for many months now and I do enjoy having it.

Last edited by 92f150xl; 05-21-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Google this subject and read everything you can find - antenna trim is an important part of the whole installation. You can get several x more range if you get the trim set right.

Quick Reply: Wirring a CB Radio