Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

What are symptoms of a faulty Throttle Position Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are symptoms of a faulty Throttle Position Sensor?

Hey guys, looking for some help.

My 96 F150 (5spd manual) idles fine but when I make truck move (whether in gear or coasting on a hill in neutral), engine rev's up over 1000rpm. When I make truck stop, rpm go back down to normal. Engine only revs when it is moving. It's really wierd when I'm coasting in neutral and it does it. Revs decrease when truck stops.

Already replaced IAC, PCV, & VSS. May it be the TPS? It's next on my list.

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Pull codes before firing more money at it.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:27 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

x2, pull codes, invest in a voltmeter and use it to test components before trying to solve a problem by throwing parts at it. Sounds like it could be the EGR or TPS, be sure to search for the proper way to replace the TPS as there is a specific procedure to follow, I will say it again, before you even remove it search this forum for the proper procedure to remove/replace it otherwise you will just get different problems.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:51 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Speed sensor on the diff is worth a look maybe, considering the symptoms
Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the VSS on the rear axle and that was not the fix! Dissapointed, that would have been a cheap one.

Thanks for the advice concerning the TPS. I will definately do the research before I replace.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fltdriver
x2, pull codes, invest in a voltmeter and use it to test components before trying to solve a problem by throwing parts at it. Sounds like it could be the EGR or TPS, be sure to search for the proper way to replace the TPS as there is a specific procedure to follow, I will say it again, before you even remove it search this forum for the proper procedure to remove/replace it otherwise you will just get different problems.
x3. Tons of reasons idle goes high on these trucks. Code reader will narrow it down for you.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:14 AM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Funny that I posted on this thread earlier in the week. Drove my truck today. Sitting at a red light it revved up and tried to rear end a much more expensive vehicle. Then shuddered and died. Limped it home and hooked the scanner up....P122 = TPS voltage low. Gonna order the motorcraft and swap it out.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty but trusty
Funny that I posted on this thread earlier in the week. Drove my truck today. Sitting at a red light it revved up and tried to rear end a much more expensive vehicle. Then shuddered and died. Limped it home and hooked the scanner up....P122 = TPS voltage low. Gonna order the motorcraft and swap it out.
First TPS I bought to replace my original was from Autozone, it didn't work. Ordered one from the Ford dealer and like magic it worked. These trucks are sometimes sensitive to non-Ford parts I've found.

Quick Reply: What are symptoms of a faulty Throttle Position Sensor?