Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

What can i do about my front wheel leaning in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Mrs. W

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Default What can i do about my front wheel leaning in?

my front wheels lean in so that it wears really uneven on my tires and since i am planning on putting new tires on before winter i need to get this fixed first. any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the ball joints
Old 09-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 93F-150
my front wheels lean in so that it wears really uneven on my tires and since i am planning on putting new tires on before winter i need to get this fixed first. any help would be appreciated.
Its called negative camber, probably the result of old springs if it hasn't been lifted, an Alignment will resolve this most of the time. It will require a shop that is familiar with the camber bushing needs of the DANA IFS. Dealer is usually the first option unless you know a good shop that understands the IFS on these trucks.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 95EddBau
check the ball joints
yeah or that too.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get the alignment checked
Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 PM
302 Power!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an alignment didn't fix it and i was told the ball joints were going out but i checked them and its not them. i think its the king pin is this a big job to change?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Mrs. W

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

i got an alignment and it didnt help at all. waste of fifty bucks right there.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM

This is fixed with the camber bushes, if you got some tools you can do it yourself. But you are limited in how far you go as the bush has an off-set center, this determines your camber. Mine is to max as lifting the truck will change the camber. Mine is slightly out, but not enough to really worry. If your not confident with doing this get a workshop manual, copy/bookmark the pages on this section, obtain new camber bushes and take it to your local suspension/tyre shop. It's not that hard a job, but not easy either! If your going to do this, replace all ball joints. Make sure your radius arm bushes & plastic retainers are in good condition. This may sound expensive but after a few tyres that's the parts bill already! All this will make your truck drive like new!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

you need to replace All 4 ball joints at the same time. ( other guy you dont have king pins)

after you replace all the ball joints you need to take it to the ***dealer*** they are the best bet for an alignment, and they always have the bushings needed instock.

and DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT BUY CHEAP BALL JOINTS you might be able to get away with them on other vehicles but NOT on the TTB ford used.

and by the way you will still wear the fronts down faster than the rear. i rotate my tires every 2K miles. then when the insides get worn down to much for my liking i turn all the tires around on the rims

and it is a good idea to replace all the tie rods when you do the ball joints too. just to stiffin up the whole thing.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Troll Hater

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fordtrucknut
you need to replace All 4 ball joints at the same time. ( other guy you dont have king pins)

after you replace all the ball joints you need to take it to the ***dealer*** they are the best bet for an alignment, and they always have the bushings needed instock.

and DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT BUY CHEAP BALL JOINTS you might be able to get away with them on other vehicles but NOT on the TTB ford used.

and by the way you will still wear the fronts down faster than the rear. i rotate my tires every 2K miles. then when the insides get worn down to much for my liking i turn all the tires around on the rims

and it is a good idea to replace all the tie rods when you do the ball joints too. just to stiffin up the whole thing.
+1.625
I had a to ball joint go out one time.
It is unfortunate, and you don't want that trouble.
If a lower goes, worse misfortune...
The following users liked this post:
brianp77 (03-20-2014)

Quick Reply: What can i do about my front wheel leaning in?