Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Weird Whining sound when Revving/Accelerating

Old 09-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Whining sound when Revving/Accelerating

Hi everybody, i'm new to the forum but not new to forums in general. this place seems like a great Wealth of information and i'm glad to be a part of it now. a little bit of introducing, my names Mike, but you guys can just call me Novak. i'm 20, from pennsylvania and this isn't my first ford truck. we've had a couple since i was a youngin. the first one i remember is a 1986 ford ranger. then a couple ford explorers, and a 1994 f-150 ext cab. and now i have my own as a winter vehicle so i don't ruin my car in the winter here in pennsylvania. its a 1995 single cab with an 8 foot bed.

now lets get down to business. the motor is the straight six 4.9 liter hooked up to an auto tranny. the truck runs great, i just got done patching up the body for inspection and painting it and i pulled it out of the garage and took it for the first drive i ever took in it so far and it runs great but when you start to push down on the gas more than a little bit, it makes a loud whining sound and feels like its not getting the power it needs, at first i thought it might be the tranny but its not because i put it in park and revved it up and its still doing the same.... any ideas?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You may want to check the power steering fluid..
Thanks,

Ant
Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Power steering if full.... it feels more like the engine isn't spinning fast enough or something, because when you press on the gas it doesn't accelerate as it should and you just hear a deafening whining sound the more you press on the gas the louder it gets and you smell a buring smell.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by NOVAKx17
Power steering if full.... it feels more like the engine isn't spinning fast enough or something, because when you press on the gas it doesn't accelerate as it should and you just hear a deafening whining sound the more you press on the gas the louder it gets and you smell a buring smell.
You've checked all fluids? Tried pulling codes? Have you tried to locate the source of the burning smell? Maybe check the timing?

I would start with fluids and codes. Then continue from any codes you might get.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 PM

yes all fluids are full. and there is no check engine lights on....

and no i haven't singled out where the smell is coming from and no its not the belts.... but like i said it goes with the rpms....
Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 PM

yes all fluids are full. and there is no check engine lights on....

and no i haven't singled out where the smell is coming from and no its not the belts.... but like i said it goes with the rpms....
There can still be codes without a light. Like I said, try codes and try to find the source of the burning.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 PM

okay, i'll check for codes tomorrow. . . its just weird because i've never seen anything like this in any of the vehicles i've ever owned. . could it be something from sitting for the past 6 months in my garage? the ebrake was locked up but other than that i hadn't noticed anything else until this when i took it for a test run
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 PM

That's your power steering pump making the whining noise. If you let them get low once, they complain the rest of their lives. The burning smell could be something else entirely.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 PM

okay, i'll check for codes tomorrow. . . its just weird because i've never seen anything like this in any of the vehicles i've ever owned. . could it be something from sitting for the past 6 months in my garage? the ebrake was locked up but other than that i hadn't noticed anything else until this when i took it for a test run
Its possible. I don't know what it might be though. If it were my truck, I'd be looking at everything trying to figure it out.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by AK Outlaw
That's your power steering pump making the whining noise. If you let them get low once, they complain the rest of their lives. The burning smell could be something else entirely.
Wouldn't it also whine when turning too then?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird Whining sound when Revving/Accelerating