Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Weird exhaust leak question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird exhaust leak question

I bought a 95 F150 earlier this week (only 65,000 original miles) with a strange, small exhaust leak. The guy I bought it from said it is from a crossover pipe on the very back of the engine (not in the exhaust system itself). I've looked online and also through my manual and can find no mention of such a part. I can see where it appears to be leaking near the fire wall on the passenger because there is a small amount of soot there. The sound is also coming from the same general location. I don't believe it's coming from the exhaust manifold either due to its location and sound. Anyone ever heard of such a problem and if so what's the fix? Thanks -Stinko
Old 02-15-2008, 06:00 PM
OL'E BLUE1989

Sounds almost like the metal hose that comes off the smog pump. they normly rust out on the F150's. maybe?
-Way
Old 02-15-2008, 06:59 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It is part of the smog system. It rusts out because it carries exhaust gases through it. If your state has emissions inspections then you need to fix it before the next inspection. If not take it off have, cut the ends off and have them brazed and bolt just the ends back on.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 PM
When in doubt, floor it

I had the exact same problem. I just patched it up with sum aluminum tape and sum rcv sealant and she was good. My dad did that before with just the sealant and it lasted for 2 years.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i,m not sure about your model truck, but i do know the earlier and possibly your model did have a metal pipe which bolts on to the back of each head and they had a one way type of valve on it,it is part of the thermactor air/egr system,and yes they rot out and make a noise,you can check by getting up on the truck and have the engine running and feel around the back of the heads.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. The truck is originally from Louisiana but I bought it here in California. I believe we have the toughest smog laws in the nation so I'll be fixing the problem. Does anyone know the exact name for this part so I can look for a new one on the net? They smogged it for the previous owner before he sold so it must have gotten worse since then. Also I was told by the previous owner that in order to replace the part, the engine had to be pulled. Is that true? Thanks -Stinko
Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it is a 5.0. Thanks -Stinko
Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

You might be able to sneak it out from the back of the engine. Its called a crossover pipe.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah bud you can get it out without pulling the motor,but just verify thats the problem because its a hell of a job, but it can be done.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:36 PM

I found my crossover pipe at a Junk Yard today. We had to go to 2 different ones but the second had an E150, 93 Van with a crossover that was in good shape. We chose a van due to the easy accesabilty via the dog house in the cab. I can see now what you guys mean by it being tough to get it out of the truck. It would be whole lot easier if that rear engine hoist hook wasn't in the way. Thanks for everyone's advice. -Stinko

Quick Reply: Weird exhaust leak question