Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Walker Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Walker Y-Pipe

So I just got back from Summit Racing, I bought a Walker Y-Pipe to replace the stock down pipes and catalytic converter. I'll be working on installing it tomorrow. Has anybody used one and has any tips or thoughts?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I installed an eastern catalytic y-pipe not too long ago. Probably similar to the walker. It's a pain in the ***. Mine didn't fit, had to use ratchet straps and a torch to expand it. Take your time with the studs on the manifolds. Three out of four snapped for me. That was a son of a B to take care of. Have fun!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mista_Breeze
So I just got back from Summit Racing, I bought a Walker Y-Pipe to replace the stock down pipes and catalytic converter. I'll be working on installing it tomorrow. Has anybody used one and has any tips or thoughts?
What engine do you have?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

My thoughts based on my Y pipe/entire exhaust install......

Use a jack stand at the "Y" to help support it while you bolt it to the manifolds.

And use a band clamp with Copper Permatex RTV to get away from having to weld it or have leaks with regular U clamps.

I used a digital caliper to measure the outside diameter of each pipe and ordered 3 band clamps based on the outside diameter of each fitting to seal up my entire exhaust.

This is what I did.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Auto parts sells a new bolt kit for the flanges, go ahead and get it cause you'll need it. If flanges are a little off pull the y pipe down and bend it. If you try to force it it'll probably end up leaking.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

4.9. And I broke down and did it this afternoon. My truck has been very well taken care of so the studs and everything came right out. I threw new ones from Dorman in. Everything lined up great. I ended up setting my toolbox under the y pipe to support it. The o2 sensor bung is in an awkward place though. I'm going to make a mil eliminator though, that will bridge the gap to the plug. And since I have no cat it will keep it from throwing codes.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Band clamps do seem like a good idea for when I finish the exhaust. I hate welding, plus I'm no good at it, and I hate the look of a ton of clamps.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Band clamps are great!!! My exhaust install looks very clean with them. And most importantly, no leaks!

The main thing is making sure you measure the outside diameter of both pipes at each fitting (Y-pipe/cat, cat/muffler, muffler/tailpipe, etc.) so if you need to get a band clamp with two different inside diameters, you'll know so you won't have leaks.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Originally Posted by qdeezie
Band clamps are great!!! My exhaust install looks very clean with them. And most importantly, no leaks! The main thing is making sure you measure the outside diameter of both pipes at each fitting (Y-pipe/cat, cat/muffler, muffler/tailpipe, etc.) so if you need to get a band clamp with two different inside diameters, you'll know so you won't have leaks.
Are they that specific? I didn't realize they were that accurate. The ones I've used in the past we're just "fits 2.5 o.d." And ya cranked it down until it fit lol
Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 AM

Lol yea, Summit has them with two different inside diameters per clamp. If my memory serves me correctly, out of the 3 I used on my my truck, 2 of them have a different inside diameter on each end of the clamp.

Quick Reply: Walker Y-Pipe