Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Valve job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve job?

I was still having issues with the VSS, couldn't locate the problem and with summer approaching decided to take it into to a local shop, owner drives truck similar to mine. He said #8 cyl is dead and I need a valve job. Is this a possibility. I've run some searches but didn't locate anything. 1993 5.0, 4wd. auto. He said that with a dead hole these trucks can have issues that resemble VSS problems.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a simple way to check valves - compression test. If compression in #8 will vary from other cylinders readings - it might mean valve problems
Old 06-05-2009, 02:26 PM

And if you don't check, he'll bill you for a rebuild, have you leave the truck with him for a month, and all he'll change is the vss... call me a pessimist
Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm aware of unscrupulous shops and I know to check compression before I give the go ahead for an expensive repair. I don't know if a dead cylinder can cause problems similar to a bad VSS. Stalling in reverse, stalling in gear, coming to a stop sign and stalling, coming to a stop sign and throwing the truck into neutral and it stalls, coming to a stop sign and figuring out that if I give it enough gas to keep it idling as I come to a stop it wont stall. If anyone has an opinion if it's a possiblity or if it sounds unlikely I'd sure like to know. Thanks again for having my back.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 PM
KickAss Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey yeah my truck was bad for this too. i can put it into reverse and it does stall sometimes. or if im in reverse, and to straight to drive, it jerks the truck so much that sometimes the engine cant recover itself and it stalls. and in reverse it idles down alot.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:02 PM

Bump
Old 06-08-2009, 08:18 AM

well, this is an issue i've been going rounds with on my 94 4.9l... i'm figuring on it being dirty injectors. i have finally found that running 93oct with a little additive (lucas) nearly removes the symptoms.

i cleaned the IAC (and that solved the 'at a stop light stall' issue) and the motherf was filthy. dirtier than my first exwife. And then, the other day (on cheap gas) had the thing lunging on me while i was coming to a stop light, whilst i tried to feather gas and not hit the guy in front of me. this leads me to - torque converter (and i don't want to think those words)

now, over the weekend, found out (heard) the VSS would likely throw the abs light on - which mine hasn't. however, bad injectors would lead to 'bad vss' symptoms and all the stalling type issues etc. and in following this rationale along, continued/prolonged exposure to these issues will f-up the tranny. PERIOD. Now, everyone says pull the codes. The codes lead to sensors. The sensors aren't the problem. Air in, ignition, combustion, air out... my guess (call it Occam's Razor) is injectors are dirty. TB was dirty. IAC was filthy. I'm not getting crossfilling (and really don't believe it's fuel pressure/pumps).

One final note. In the moring after i start Ruth up, and let her iddle down, when i put it in Reverse, slams into gear. Only time it does it. Not the rest of the day. Only... morning... I've solved this problem by backing in at night.

Quick Reply: Valve job?