Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

valve adjustment? 1995 F150 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default valve adjustment? 1995 F150 XLT

It was suggested that I do a valve adjustment on my truck. 1995 F150 with a 5.0L engine. I've never done one before. Is there a benefit to doing it and what does it take? I am mechanically inclined and have always done my own work... just never had to do a valve adjustment.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

This would be news to me. Never heard of adjusting valves on the 5.0L.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM

thanks for the reply. glad I didnt waste my time then!

I have NGK plugs on this truck, reaching about 80,000 miles soon and its time to change them out. Also have an Accel coil pack, MSD distributor and wires. Will I need to change the coil distributor and wires? I'd assume that if corrosion is present then the answer is yes but I'm wondering what the general consensus is about changing these better quality components.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Did I miss something - you've only got 80,000 on a 12-year old truck?

At any rate, not sure about the lifespans of aftermarket equipment. Coil and wires are not generally considered consumable items, well, at least not by me. For OEM, there are specs listed for both that can be measured - perhaps the aftermarket mfgr can provide similar specs.

The distributor cap, rotor, and plugs are consumable to some extent - I like to clean them up and inspect closely for any cracked towers or anything else that isn't right - try to get as much life out of them as possible. On spark plugs, I look for the degree of electrode erosion and make a call. Corrosion isn't necessarily a replacement criteria if it can be cleaned up. Be sure to use a wad of dielectric grease on both ends of the plug wire connections - keeping air away from the connection slows corrosion. Kind of the same idea as lightly greasing the battery terminals.

But, admittedly, things can get to a point where the stuff is several years old, the truck isn't running quite right, and although things may check out - the problem seems to be cured by new parts.

I personally don't push my vehicle to the point where the aftermarket stuff is worth the upgrade cost to me. It's a judgement call as to what your goals and checkbook limits are.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:22 PM

yep something was missed. the plugs have nearly 80k miles on them but the truck is pushing 155k. thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: valve adjustment? 1995 F150 XLT