Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Update on my '96

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Driver of wrecks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my '96

Well, the suspension noise is the Radius arm bushings. Should be correcting that tomorrow. I changed the ball joints today, because they had play as well. Also it turns out my driveshaft was about to fall off. One of the bolts is missing, and the other 3 had backed out about 1/4 of an inch. I couldn't find a bolt to use, so I locktited the three I had and i'll be babying it. If anyone knows an easy place to find driveshaft bolts, I would very much appreciate it.

As for the engine running the way it is, I pulled these codes:

P1000
P0174 and P0171
P0385
P1150
P0153

I cleared them before I drove home, and when I drive in tomorrow i'll be checking to see which ones came back. Running lean would make sense, but I don't know why it would be running lean. I would try throwing some O2 sensors in it, but that can get pretty pricey so i'd like to know that'll fix it first. :P
Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Try to get multiple warmup cycles in. In a pinch, only the o2's ahead of the Cat actually effect fuel trim. I don't know how many you have. After 60K o2's are costing you money to keep em. Just the installment plan, every time you buy gas than you shouldn't have had to.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Driver of wrecks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I didn't get done what I had hoped to today... I cleaned the throttle body, checked the MAF sensor for excessive buildup, and replaced a couple vacuum hoses. Didn't get a chance to pull any codes. I believe it need to rebuild the vacuum routing system, at least all the rubber and those stupid plastic lines. The way the truck is running is very indicative of a large amount of vacuum leaks...

Any tips on how to check what to replace, or how to proceed with replacing everything?

And hopefully tomorrow i'll see what codes it threw back at me.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzo
Well, I didn't get done what I had hoped to today... I cleaned the throttle body, checked the MAF sensor for excessive buildup, and replaced a couple vacuum hoses. Didn't get a chance to pull any codes. I believe it need to rebuild the vacuum routing system, at least all the rubber and those stupid plastic lines. The way the truck is running is very indicative of a large amount of vacuum leaks...

Any tips on how to check what to replace, or how to proceed with replacing everything?

And hopefully tomorrow i'll see what codes it threw back at me.
Jez gitter done!

Quick Reply: Update on my '96