Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Turbo 4.9L Progress And Updates.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Project QEMIS Lead

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo 4.9L Progress And Updates.

So its been a good minute IRL, with my truck and job situations.
Got the 94 F150 up and running again after not being is use over the entire winter. Started with some problems i could not easily diagnose. Turns out to be the fuel pressure + timing and a bad egr valve. Got the truck running little over a month ago without the turbo kit installed.

Then about 2-3 days after using the 94' again my transmission was going nuts!, barely could accelerate in 3rd and 4th gear... The trans shutter was insane. Almost like driving on rumble strips the whole time in low 3rd and all of 4th gear. I was on the verge of saying fk it and sell the darn thing... But i just couldn't bring myself to part from my baby XD.

So i did a lot of research and found a product called "Dr Trannys Shudder Fix", 8 bucks later and less then 5 miles down the road, i about cried when the shutter completely stopped!. Still to this day its not rumbled even in the slightest! +1 to that product ^^.

So lets forward time just a smidge, about 3 weeks about i sold damn near the whole turbo kit i made last year, minus the injectors, ignition system, pressure reg, and manifold.

Now im almost finished with the new slightly modified version of my original turbo kit. all thats waiting to arrive is the Silicon hoses.

The new turbo is another T3 Hybrid like the first. But this time with a .63 A/R on the turbine side instead of .57. Also the Compressor size was upped from a 50 trim to 57 trim. The compressor map is pretty good for my goal of 3500 max rpms as stock is. along with a 1500 rpm max limit the turbo takes to make max boost. So cruising down the freeway going 70 MPH @ 1800 rpms, it will be no prob to drop the gear and haul some *** past them slow peeps.

Lowest boost I run is 8PSI. When im doing runs or testing for more power I run 11PSI to 15PSI. I will not go over 16PSI on stock motor. Lol

The exterior is a WIP,
  • Front bumper
  • Head Lights
  • Head light Trim
  • Grill
  • Side Fenders
  • Lower door trim rust repair
  • Truck bed
  • Rear Bumper

I also plan on doing a 2/4 drop with some decent rims, no chrome ew. Some nice tread and still keep the stock tire diameter.

The next step after this finished turbo kit is to replace the stock E4OD with a level 1 transmission pre-built.

After that is the motor.
  • Comp cams full high energy cam kit - K66-237-4 MPN
  • Harland Sharp 1.6 Roller Rockers - S4002-7 MPN
  • Fel-Pro Head Gasket - 1024 PN
  • Fel-Pro Intake and Exhaust Gaskets set
  • Melling Valves - Intake V1505 - Exhaust V1504
  • ARP Head Studs
  • Ford Forged Crank
  • Forged Pistons W/ CR Bump to 9:1 Stock bore
  • Source some forged rods if they exist

Anyways Here are some pictures

Thanks

Last edited by cyrusmaintea; 03-22-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Bleeds blue

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

That's purdy parts right there!

FOMOCO had us use their LSD Friction Modifier (Motorcraft XL-3) to kill the trans shudder, works too.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

How are you planning on running all of the piping. And are you going to be running an intercooler? I've been looking for somebody to properly built turbo set up on the 300. Will be watching this thread.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:45 AM
Project QEMIS Lead

Theres no intercooler. Long charge pipes make up for it a little. Ull see some more pics soon
Old 03-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Project QEMIS Lead

I put the kit on the truck last night. Had some serious issues with oil. Putting the full installation on hold till I figure out how to get the oil back up to the oil pan from lower to a higher level. Because its building up in the drain line and causing it to leak out the Compressor and turbine.... Going to order a secondary oil pump to push and pull the oil out. The oil feed has the restricted plate under it to slow the oil flow. But yeh. Like I said there's to much oil back pressure Leaving the turbo.

Last edited by cyrusmaintea; 03-23-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a inter cooler from a 99 to 03 7.3 and inter cool these body style trucks. I know you said you don't have one and already ran the kit but if you ever want to inter cool it, just throwing it out there.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:52 AM
Project QEMIS Lead

Lol its in the plan in the future. Going with an aftermarket one anyways though. Still got lots to do XD. Anyone have any clue were to go in the Ann arbor / Detroit area for a scavenge pump? Like an aftermarket shop? I cant check till after 6pm est. Working now. THANKS.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a bunch of auto-shops between 8 and ten mile on Denquinder, they would probly have one.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Project QEMIS Lead

Thanks! Just decided to order one online... 135$ shipped. Plus some other parts to aid in resituating the turbos mounting angle and space for the intake. Oil feed fittings and new gaskets.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Online ordering is one of the nicest things because, hell you can just sit wherever buy parts!

Quick Reply: Turbo 4.9L Progress And Updates.