Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Truck won't start!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Smurf25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start!!

Ok folks heres the deal. I have 1990 f150 lariat 4x4 and it's been running great until the winter. I live in crested butte, CO and we've gotten 418 inches of snow so far. My truck has been burried since december. I just got it out last week and can't get it running. I've change spark plugs, tried some starting fluid, and i have to keep charging my battery up so i can just try to start it. Don't know if water got in the tank or it's screwed. I'm at a loss now. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:31 PM

The ignition systems in our olders trucks like yours, suck with wet conditions. You may check and see if you are getting spark from the plug wires. If not try changing the Coil. That would be my guess.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check and see if you have spark! Can you hear the fuel pump run? Remember the pumps can only be heard for a few seconds when the key is first turned on. If you do hear the pump, disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail sitting on top of injector nozzles. Keep us posted.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Smurf25

ok i'm pretty dumb when it comes to engines. how do i check for spark?? yes i can here the pump instantly when i hook up my battery. and why disconect the fuel line?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM

Also, try using a good battery. If you have to keep charging up the battery, it might be totally shot and not able to move enough juice to get everything kicking correctly.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 AM

Pull off a spark plug wire, insert a screwdriver into the end and hold it close to something metal on the engine. Have a second person crank the engine over. (Like trying to start it). The reason to remove the fuel line is to see if fuel is getting that far. I'm thinking frozen. Get back to us.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Smurf25

alright, thanks everybody!! i've got spark! so how do i see if it's frozen? and how do i thaw it ok? do i just put a heater underneath it or what? I don't know where to disconect the fuel line, the only place i see is in the back but it looks kind of confusing, and its metal i think?? thanks for the help everyone!

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2008, 09:05 PM

I would imagine that you don't have a block heater that circulates the oil and keeps the engine moderately warm. try pulling the line that goes from the fuel pump to the fuel plenum setup. put the end of the tube in a glass mason jar or something clear and have your helpful buddy turn the key on. You should hear the fuel pump kick on and spit out gas (into the glass). This does two things. Lets you see how far gas is or isn't getting, and lets you see if you have crud in the gas. You can also see if there's a clear filter somewhere near the intake for the fuel pump so you can see if you have flow.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:19 AM

You've got the right spot. The flex line that goes into the rail is held in place by a garter spring. Auto parts sells the tool to aid in taking it apart. 40 years ago there was a product to put into the tank called "Start". Need help from others as to name to remove water (ice) from the gas.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Smurf25

cool, thanks! so what do i do if no gas is getting to the engine? I've put some ISO-heet into the gas tank, but as far as getting that tool the closest parts store is 35 miles away, we don't even have a wal-mart in this town. i'm gonna go mess with it now. thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start!!