Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Truck will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Truck will not start

I have a 1989 F-150 with a 5.0L engine with 84,000 miles on it. Today when I attempted to drive it, it cut off, almost as if I turned the key off. It will turn over, but that's about it. Earlier this morning I drove to work with no issues at all.

I had the same issue with a Jeep that turned out to be a crankshaft position sensor. Is it possible that I have the same issue here? Anyone have experience dealing with this sensor?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:36 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you have spark? Do you have fuel? Do you hear the fuel pump come on? When the # 1 piston is on TDC is the rotor pointing at #1? How long since the cap, rotor and wires were replaced? Info Info Info. Then we can help. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:54 PM

Plenty of fuel, cap and rotor were replaced a couple months ago. I haven't had a chance to check to see if there was a spark yet. I found the cam and crank sensors for pretty cheap, so I might try those out tomorrow and see what happens. I'll let everyone know if it works.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no sense in wasting ur time and money just buying things and throwing them on when its prolly not those. check the spark first. i had an 87 f250 that started to do the same thing, would have spark and then it would lose it. it was down to wiring or computer and turned out to be bad wiring coming from the computer in the main harness.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:32 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by Chris Mapp
Plenty of fuel, cap and rotor were replaced a couple months ago. I haven't had a chance to check to see if there was a spark yet. I found the cam and crank sensors for pretty cheap, so I might try those out tomorrow and see what happens. I'll let everyone know if it works.
Umm no cam or crank sensors in a truck that old. Its all in the distributor. Thats why I wanted to know if you had spark. IF there is no spark then Have the module on the side of the Distributor tested. Advance has the machine to do that. I dont tell ppl to just throw parts at a problem hoping to solve it. I will help them diag the problem first. Need to check for spark and if possible injector pulse. If neither one is working then we will go from there.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 AM

Ah..I see I see. I guess that explains why none of the auto parts stores had that part in stock. I'll see if I have spark and report what I find.

Forgot to ask, how do I check for injector pulse?

Last edited by Chris Mapp; 03-12-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by Chris Mapp
Ah..I see I see. I guess that explains why none of the auto parts stores had that part in stock. I'll see if I have spark and report what I find.

Forgot to ask, how do I check for injector pulse?
Buy whats called a noid light, unplug the injector and plug it into the injector harness. They should be able to sell or loan you one ad Advanced Auto Parts. I don't like their parts but they carry some speciality tools for the at home mechanic.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You say you have plenty of fuel, that doesn't mean the pump is any good or you have good pressure. My 95 Bonneville's fuel pump went out at 185K shortly after the wife filled the tank. It would crank but that was about it. I tested the fuel pressure with a guage and found it had none. At the end of the fuel rail it should have a schrader valve, get a fuel pressure gauge and test it. Your injectors may be working but not having fuel won't make it start.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Update

Well, I got my truck out of the shop this week. Turns out it was the ignition control module. They changed it out, and now it seems like it even runs better than before.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by NGM
Its all in the distributor. Thats why I wanted to know if you had spark. IF there is no spark then Have the module on the side of the Distributor tested. Advance has the machine to do that. .
That would be the ignition control module...
Congrats on getting the truck fixed.

Quick Reply: Truck will not start