Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Truck stalls in reverse only when warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Truck stalls in reverse only when warm

I have a 94 f150 5.0 E40D tranny and every time my truck gets warm after driving a while it will stall in reverse. I can usually save it by tapping the gas repeatedly. It does fine in all other gear except reverse in which it does fine when the truck is cold. Ive been trying to figure this out for about a year now ans no one seems to know what's going on. Ive read tons of articles and basically come down to the conclusion that it has to be either line pressure or filter falling out which these trucks are known for. Any help would be great including tests, diagnostics or whatever. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

I think I can help.

1) Your trans fluid filter is falling into the pan.

or

2) Your torque converter is dead and needs to be replaced.

Also, check your TPS and ensure the voltage is correct.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jonsto426
I have a 94 f150 5.0 E40D tranny and every time my truck gets warm after driving a while it will stall in reverse. I can usually save it by tapping the gas repeatedly. It does fine in all other gear except reverse in which it does fine when the truck is cold. Ive been trying to figure this out for about a year now ans no one seems to know what's going on. Ive read tons of articles and basically come down to the conclusion that it has to be either line pressure or filter falling out which these trucks are known for. Any help would be great including tests, diagnostics or whatever. Thanks.
My 91 did the same thing on me the other day. It had also just started acting like it was cutting out when in 2nd (I think) and trying and trying to hold at anything under 45. It also has a hard shift into 3rd.

I don't me to intrude. I did start my own thread. I had entertained the neutral safety switch for the hard shift. Not sure about the stalling. Could it be the pump?

Quick Reply: Truck stalls in reverse only when warm