Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Truck died....Any Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck died....Any Ideas???

Wonder if you guys might have any idea. Couple months ago my truck cut out going down the highway. Let me explain the cut out part of that. The truck would idle but pressing on the gas would make the engine stumble really bad. Any thing more than light pressure on the throttle would make the engine cut out. Was able to limp home and the next morning had the same problem. Truck starts up and runs great but would not respond well when pressing on the gas......same as before... Went out of town and the problem disappeared when I came back. Ran great for coouple months. Untill today.........the truck just quit completely on the interstate running at highwat speed. It will turn over but will not light off, which is different than before, but related I believe???????? Fuel pump???? Any ideas?????
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

First check the computer for codes, this thread will explain how: https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-retrieve-trouble-codes-obdi-10907/
You should also do a fuel pressure check.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ill give it a shot.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

As Sean recommended - if you can pull the codes - it sure prevents a lot of guesswork and resulting money thrown away on parts not needed.

Some possibilities that are coming to mind are the throttle position sensor (TPS), manifold air pressure sensor (MAP) or a leak in its vacuum tubing for the problem with not being able to get above idle speed.

Thinking the TFI module on the distributor base is a likely suspect for the truck just up and dying - followed by the stator pick-up sensor inside the distributor, a failed ignition coil, or a lost ground. You mentioned the fuel pump - yes, this and any other fuel problem resulting in flow stoppage could be the problem too. Will need to determine if you lost fuel or lost spark.

Again, recommend to pull the codes and we can go forward with more confidence from there.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default fuel probs

I had the same issues with my 93 GT it was the fuel fiters. changed the in line ran awsome for @ 10 min then acted up again. dropped the tank and the filter in the tank had like a brown sandish powder in it. changed it and ran like a raped ape... till I sold her

Quick Reply: Truck died....Any Ideas???