Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

A trick for masking things off to paint.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Default A trick for masking things off to paint.

Thought I'd share this - it's an easier way to mask off intricate things.

Stuff like these letters can be ridiculously hard to mask off

What I did (after the intake had been cleaned up properly) is paint the area where the letters are with silver engine enamel (because that's the colour I wanted the letters to be) then let that dry for a day or so. I then got out my tub of wheel bearing grease - we all know what happens when you don't get the grease off something you're painting - and using the tip of my finger, very carefully put a very thin coat of grease on the letters, just the parts I wanted to show after. Then I sprayed the whole intake with the darker grey engine enamel I had picked out for my upper and lower intake colour. I let that dry overnight.

Next day it took about 2 minutes to wipe the paint off the top of the letters to reveal the colour underneath. I'll have to spend a couple more minutes yet, but you can see how it works.
I first used that trick to paint the insert part on chrome wheels with the openings. Just put grease on the chrome, spray into the holes, and clean the chrome back up. Beats masking tape for those tough detail things. Just don't get grease where you want paint and it only has to be a very thin coat of grease.
The following users liked this post:
ncranchero (03-28-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Kiazord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done something similar before, but with mashed potatoes haha.. I sprayed the color of the background and got mashed taters all down in the cracks and crevices, sprayed the foreground color and stuck it in the sink a day later lol.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by zoom zoom
I've done something similar before, but with mashed potatoes haha.. I sprayed the color of the background and got mashed taters all down in the cracks and crevices, sprayed the foreground color and stuck it in the sink a day later lol.
Perfect !! I love it !
Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Stud Muffin

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

what I would've done is just painted it. and then taken a flat board with sand paper and scuff the paint off.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rubber cement has worked well for me in the past
Old 03-31-2015, 04:24 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by zoom zoom
Old 04-01-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

My cousin showed me this trick many years ago using vaseline. Works like a charm!
Old 04-02-2015, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default paint

I've used a flat square sponge several times to paint elevated letters and trim.
Terry

Quick Reply: A trick for masking things off to paint.