Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

transmission shifts out of gear at stops

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Well raise my rent!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default transmission shifts out of gear at stops

Hey guys, same 89 f150 4x4 w/ 302.

Don't have this problem often, but when I do it's disconcerting. At stops or stoplights, I'll roll to a stop and wait with my foot on the brake. Occasionally, I can feel the truck lurch or adjust slightly and the idle increases as if I've shifted into neutral or park. After a few seconds, the truck will lurch again and the idle drops as if I've just shifted back into OD or D.

A few times on hills, I'll roll backwards a few feet after letting off the brake and stepping on the gas, then the truck decides to shift back into OD and I'll continue on my way. This happens on flat ground as well, but isn't near as nerve-wracking.

I'm wondering if this is connected to the transmission feeling like it's shifting hard or too early and killing my power output. No codes appear and my speedometer (speed sensor?) doesn't seem like it's acting up. I don't know when the ATF has been changed last, and it's a damn good possibility that the fluid is 140k mi old. I found a diagram with the trans bolt patterns so I'll get the trans model before the day is out.

Anyone have ideas or have a similar problem?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Are my eyes red?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd give it a fluid/filter change and see what happens, you're not running the E4OD, so the trans wont throw a code. you can also check your linkage. good luck man

Quick Reply: transmission shifts out of gear at stops